Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New PID's for Orion BMS and possibility to read Curtis motor data with Torque

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    Is BMS turned on in the controller programming?
    ??
    Which screen is this ? I only saw the screen for CAN parameters, screenshot below.

That would be great if this is what's missing.

Curtis CAN parameters.JPG
    That's the only screen i see about CAN in the Curtis manual:
    http://www.thunderstruck-ev.com/Manu...20Feb%2009.pdf

On page 73 of that manual we can see a parameter called CAN NMT state in the monitor menu, i think mine was equal to 127=pre-operational when i checked today if i'm not mistaken. Should it be 5 = operational ?? But then i don't know how to change this setting.
    Last edited by Hugues; 18 February 2017 at 1019.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    It's in user settings, custom code from HPEVS so won't be in the Curtis manual. "BMS installed" should be on.

bms.jpg
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by podolefsky View Post
    It's in user settings, custom code from HPEVS so won't be in the Curtis manual. "BMS installed" should be on.

bms.jpg
    !!
    I just checked all my menu options, BMS is nowhere to be seen.

Where did you get these ?

This is my OS version:

IMG_20170219_193954.jpg
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm... Check with HPEVS. All their software for the last 4 years works with Orion, as far as I know.

There's a way to turn BMS on with menu button programming instead of Curtis programmer. Read the instructions on their website.

http://hpevs.com/hpevs-ac-electric-m...nformation.htm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow mcf12 On Twitter
    Hey guys, a related question or two:

a. I'm using the Orion with an Eltek charger. Anyone know if the eltek would work with something else?
    b. My kelly won't talk to either. I assume the Curtis will? Hugues, did you always run a Curtis or switch from a kelly?

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcf12 View Post

a. I'm using the Orion with an Eltek charger. Anyone know if the eltek would work with something else?
    b. My kelly won't talk to either. I assume the Curtis will? Hugues, did you always run a Curtis or switch from a kelly?

Matt
    Hey Matt,

I always ran with HPEVS AC-XX and Curtis, so can't speak for other brands, sorry.

Currently discussing with HPEVS to upgrade my controller OS to their latest version so i can activate the BMS functions, should be doing that next week-end.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mcf12 View Post

Matt
    The Eltek will talk to anything that sends/receives the correct CAN messages. They use standard CAN frames, so in principle you should be able to program another device to work with them. The Orion has the messages preprogrammed in. If you go into CAN settings > edit CAN bus messages you can see the byte structure. Eltek uses IDs 2FF (receive data from BMS) and 305 (send to BMS).

I'm not sure about interfacing a Kelly and Orion. Again, the Orion uses standard CAN messages so in principle it should be possible. But HPEVS has custom code for communicating with the Orion, so you would need something along those lines.

The Curtis doesn't talk to the Eltek, only the Orion. Generally the BMS controls the charger not the motor controller. The controller should be off while charging.
    - Noah Podolefsky -
    The GSX-E

Post Thanks / Like
    So,

I've been in contact with HPEVS, they sent me a file and program so i could flash my controller to get the new functions like BMS,...and they sent me a .cpf file with all the parameters.

I made sure i backed up my current controller parameters, also taking printscreen of each, i also had my previous flash file.

So i followed HPEVS instructions to flash my controller and upload their parameters file, all went well.

Of course some of the parameters i had to adjust to my build, like "invert 2 phases" to get the correct rotation direction on my motor, this i could change and save.

But some parameters like the 0 rpm throttle voltage was set at 0.3 volts and mine was 1.05 volts, so i can change it on screen and it's taken into account, but if i close the controller and power on again, the parameter is not saved. Problem 1, can't run the bike like this.

But some other parameters i can't even change on screen, like the % to set my contactor voltage, it's blocked at 48% which is about 48 volts and i need 24 volts. Problem 2.

A bit puzzled by this, i never had any version of my controller that blocked me from changing some parameters.

I trust HPEVS know what they are doing, so the problem is probably on my side. If someone knows why i cannot change/save some of the parameters, please let me know. It's Saturday morning here and HPEVS is not back online till monday. Crap.

So i re-flashed my controller with my previous settings and cpf file and all is fine. (Note: i cannot load my cpf file on the new HPEV system, says it's incompatible).

UPDATE: I found the problem. The new parameters list provided by HPEV in the flash file have a new section at the beginning which contains some of the parameters found in the usual list, and these have priority over the ones below. So you have to set them first, like throttle voltage and so on. Now busy re-entering my setup.
    Last edited by Hugues; 25 February 2017 at 0605.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    ok,
    so i managed to upgrade my controller with the flash file sent by HPEVS and set my parameters back, everything works normally as before.

So i got the BMS option in the menu, i turned it on and tried to set the parameters as far as i know.

But the BMS still does not receive the CAN data from the controller, at least i cannot see it in the Orion screen.

I attach a link to a pdf file showing printscreens of the relevant screens of my BMS and all the Curtis parameters:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...HpFZGtqUC0xSFk

If anyone spots something not right, please let me know.

When i configured the BMS to add CAN connectivity with Curtis controller, it added some CAN messages: 0x300, 301, 602 and 601, we can see them in my second printscreen. 300 and 301 if i'm not mistaken send data to Curtis, then 602 and 601 looks like they should receive data, but it seems to me their configuration is empty, but maybe it's normal that way. In 3rd printscreen we don't see any data for the motor. And in the 4th printscreen we don't see data for messages 602 and 601 but we see 300 and 301. So something is not right. Maybe i still have a connection problem, but i don't see it.

I will contact HPEVS to ask guidance for next steps.
    Last edited by Hugues; 25 February 2017 at 1041.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally, i got the whole thing to work

On my Torque dashboard, i now have both the BMS and Motor/controller data. I cannot see the data in the 3rd party screen on the BMS PC interface, but the PID are anyway available in Torque.

So a little recap, for those interested:

- I'm using this CAN repeater/isolator:
    http://www.bb-elec.com/Products/Seri...Converter.aspx
    which i bought here:
    http://www.ebay.ch/itm/282312297142?...&sojTags=bu=bu

- You need to get the Curtis OS files from HPEV to flash your controller if you do not see the BMS menu in your Curtis software. Simply turn on the BMS option

- I connected the CAN H and L wires from the controller on the CANOP side opposite to the side with the power input. I did not connect the CAN gnd wire

- I connected the CAN2 H and L wires from the BMS on the CANOP side with the power input. I also connected the shield of the CAN wire to the CAN GND. I used the same 12V supply as the BMS to power the CANOP

- The list of PID in given in the first post of this thread, you need to define them manually in Torque before calling them from your dashboard screen.

- You can see my Curtis and BMS printscreens in this file:
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0Bw...HpFZGtqUC0xSFk

Nice to see the motor amps and rpm, controller and motor temp, Curtis fault code, you can also show the speed of the bike by using the rpm value and divide by the appropriate factor, before i was using GPS speed, not always accurate especially at low speed.

ALso, with the new OS version and this CAN connection, the controller receives the battery cell voltages and SOC and can reduce power in case of values out of range. I still need to check if i have set this right.

thanks all !

Enjoy !
    Last edited by Hugues; 26 February 2017 at 0931.
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast