Hmmm - not much help but I can confirm that is not what is supposed to happen, Mine throws an 'Unsuccessful' error at the end of the Identification process, which is apparently normal. Then once you power cycle it, 85 is set and the motor runs OK.
Hopefully Fany will get back to you soon - I have thrown a lot of questions at him around Regen setup and he's always responded same day...
Ok, controller issue is resolved! I got it running yesterday and it's very exciting. I've been working on it inside my apartment so now it's time to disassemble it, move it to my garage, reassemble, and take a little test ride. It's also time to order lights and start working on all of the body/seat/street legality stuff.
What did you do to get the issue resolved?
Originally Posted by ldopa_chicago
Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk
I started a separate thread with details specific to that if you want to go into it: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4433
Originally Posted by Bernel
In short, the sin/cos sensor that I spec'd is 1 electrical cycle per 180 degrees mechanical rotation, whereas the one Kelly tested with is 1 electrical cycle per 360 degrees mechanical rotation, so I have to "lie" to the controller about the number of poles in my motor (cut the number in half) to get it to auto identify. That did it.
Ok, some progress, some setbacks.
Since I got the motor spinning, I disassembled everything, moved it out to the garage (it was inside my apartment for comfortable winter wrenching), reassembled it, did safety checks, then went for a test ride. I rode down the alley, gingerly at first and then digging in a bit (as much as one can when the acceleration curves are set very conservatively). It was awesome! But when I stopped to turn around, I smelled the familiar smell of burning electronics -__-
I shut everything off, looked down, and saw a bit of smoke coming out of the motor/alternator. I walked the bike back to the garage and peered into the motor with a flashlight. Overall, the stator looked ok but I could see some discoloration where the phase wires exit the stator.
I had modified the motor to move the phase terminals to the side of the motor (exiting radially as opposed to axially) because where they were before would not accommodate the motor-to-controller cable lugs. Plus I wanted to use bigger motor terminals- 3/8" brass. To make this work I had to carefully bend the phase wires where they exited the stator about 90 degrees. In doing so, I believe I compromised the enamel right at the bend. Oy. Frustratingly, I had actually purchased some wire enamel to repair the wires but completely forgot to do so before testing the bike.
So first I'm going to attempt to clean the discolored area and remove any carbonization without further damaging the windings. I'll check it for shorts with my LCR meter, re-enamel anywhere that seems compromised, and retest. Also, I was miraculously able to find a replacement stator on eBay and just bought that. Hopefully, I will not need it but I'll be glad to have it around regardless. This alternator is hard to find and also discontinued.
Post Thanks / Like - 1 Likes