Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kelly KLS8080 Auto Identify Help

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by __Tango View Post
    yes, exactly.

maybe also make sure the hall sensor wires are correct and/or swap them up too.
    My motor has a sin/cosine sensor (the difference between the I and IPS model controllers). I've tried swapping the position of the sine and cosine sensors to no avail. There are so many permutations of variables...

24V, huh? That's too bad because I have a 12V dc/dc on the bike, but I have another isolated bench supply that will do 24V so I'll definitely try that too.

Post Thanks / Like
    A little update. I tried it at 24V, also no effect.

I realized that in the monitor window, the Hall A/ Hall B fields (which correspond to sine and cosine on my controller) were not changing with rotation. I initially assumed that because those were the "hall" fields that maybe they didn't apply to my version of the controller but I asked Fany and apparently I should see something there. Connecting either to 5V yields nothing which it should, so it's possible that my controller is defective or has an issue. I haven't connected anything stupidly to the 5V or those inputs so I'm not sure why/how this happened. I guess the next step is initiating service or return with Kelly. We'll see how that goes.

Post Thanks / Like
    So Kelly has asked me to purchase and try the sine/cosine sensor that they use in the Motenergy ME1114/1115. Though they don't state anywhere that one must use this specific sensor, I don't think they've tested with anything else. So I have some of those on the way. I'll need to redesign how my sensor is mounted to accommodate the RM29 but it's doable, just a pain in the ass.

In the meantime I've asked them to in turn buy my sensor and test with that. We'll see if they reciprocate.

I wish there was more information relayed from the GUI and also that it was possible to do a manual calibration instead of the auto detect. Automation is nice until it doesn't work! It's frustrating because I could easily do the math and calibrate it myself if I could get more feedback from the controller.

Post Thanks / Like
    I may have just figured it out. The sensor that Kelly did development with is a 1 electrical cycle/rotation part. My ADI part is 2 cycles/rotation. This would definitely mess up the auto cal. I believe this means that I can just lie to the controller about the number of poles- in my case telling it there are 24 instead of 48. This would have the unintended side effect of reported RPMs being off by a factor of two as well, so I need to make sure my RPM limit is set correctly.

Thankfully I have nothing going on tonight so I'm going to try this as soon as I get home. Fingers crossed...
    Last edited by ldopa_chicago; 29 March 2017 at 1246.

Post Thanks / Like
    No dice. Kelly's support continues to be unable to resolve the issue. I think this controller would be a fine choice for someone using off the shelf parts, but maybe not for me.

I'm strongly considering buying a Sevcon Gen4 instead. I know people complain about all the programming and excess of options, but that's kind of what I want/need!

Anyone with a Motenergy 1115 or similar want to buy a 96V 500A Kelly?

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok, resolved!

It was partially my foolishness and partially the issue with the electrical differences between the sensor I'm using and the sensor Kelly tested with. Problem #1: despite know better, I was entering the number of stator coils as motor poles. My motor has 48 stator coils and 16 motor poles. Problem #2: the controller expects 1 cycle of a sine wave per rotation. My sensor puts out 1 cycle per 180 degrees. Solution: tell the controller there are half as many poles as there are. In this case, 8 poles. Ironically, this is the number that the controller defaults. It's now running and though I may tweak some parameters once I ride it, it's behaving very well.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in!

7. Likes SplinterOz liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Visit SplinterOz's Youtube Channel
    Glad you came back with the fix as it will help others.
    SplinterOz
    From Australia'a Capital
    http://rgelectric.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Well done and useful information. I will be interested in how your Kelly performs.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12