Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AC-23 Motor not spinning with Curtis 1238 controller

Post Thanks / Like

AC-23 Motor not spinning with Curtis 1238 controller

I Just finished wiring the motor controller Curtis 1238 with my AC-23 motor and batteries. The batteries are currently at 3.8v each building up at 92.4v and 120ah.

The Controller status LED is blinking slow yellow and the programmer diagnostics shows all OK but the motor does not spin when the throttle is twisted. I can feel the motor shaft gets stiff when controller is fired up. Otherwise the shaft is free moving so the Motor is definitely getting power.

My throttle is a Domino electric throttle with 5 wires, i connected 3 to the controller and left the remaining 2 hanging. I even tried with a three wire 0-5ohm potentiometer but motor is still not spinning.

Any thoughts / Ideas / suggestions would be really helpful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

First thing, be sure your wheel is off the ground, or better, your motor is not connected yet to your wheel. I just wanted to be sure, i guess you already know this. WHen you play with the controller parameters, anything can happen, the motor can start to spin full speed, it happened to me.

Now, i can think of a few things that could explain your problem:

- Have you (or your vendor) ran the motor characterisation procedure ? since i understand this is a new motor and controller ?
    - I think you have the Curtis software, you can read the throttle value that the controller is seeing in the parameters section, should go up when you twist the throttle.
    - check that your throttle parameters are set properly, meaning the "0" level and some others
    - Throttle type is also an important parameter to check, could explain your problem
    - there is a parameter to swap encoder phases, could create this kind of problem,

there are a few more, but let's get started with these..
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    Hi,

First thing, be sure your wheel is off the ground, or better, your motor is not connected yet to your wheel. I just wanted to be sure, i guess you already know this. WHen you play with the controller parameters, anything can happen, the motor can start to spin full speed, it happened to me.

Now, i can think of a few things that could explain your problem:

- Have you (or your vendor) ran the motor characterisation procedure ? since i understand this is a new motor and controller ?
    - I think you have the Curtis software, you can read the throttle value that the controller is seeing in the parameters section, should go up when you twist the throttle.
    - check that your throttle parameters are set properly, meaning the "0" level and some others
    - Throttle type is also an important parameter to check, could explain your problem
    - there is a parameter to swap encoder phases, could create this kind of problem,

there are a few more, but let's get started with these..
    Huges,

Motor is not connected to the wheel so no worries on that end.

(Milton) I dont know about the vendor, but I have not run any motor characterization procedure. Yes this is a new motor and controller. How do i run the characterisation procedure?

(Milton) Yes, i have the handheld programmer 1313. I'll check if I can find the throttle value parameter

(Milton) Will check and confirm

(Milton) Throttle type is set to 3, since its a 3 wire potentiometer

(Milton) Will check and confirm as well

-Update: Looks like my programmer is user level so i dont see all the settings. Is there a firmware i can flash to update it to 4401 or 4431.. anyone?
    Last edited by milton; 09 April 2017 at 2145.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi,

Motor characterization procedure is attached, not very difficult but not straightforward either if it's your first time. You should ask the vendor of the controller and motor (if you purchased at the same place) if they have done it.

I never worked with the hand held programmer, only Curtis software with USB dongle.

AC_Motor_Characterization_Procedure_12_0.docx.zip
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    HPEVS does that before they ship out, as far as I've ever known. They're matched and tuned.

Post Thanks / Like
    I received an email from evwest (the vendor) that i have to connect pin 22 (yellow wire for fwd) to 12v wire on pin 25 and pin 9 to a charger interlock. I dont have a charger connected yet, so i left the pin 9 not connected. I connected pin 22 but still no motor spin.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    I received an email from evwest (the vendor) that i have to connect pin 22 (yellow wire for fwd) to 12v wire on pin 25 and pin 9 to a charger interlock. I dont have a charger connected yet, so i left the pin 9 not connected. I connected pin 22 but still no motor spin.
    Yes, forward pin as to be connected. But you should have received all these instructions, didn't you ?

You can find them in the Support section here:
    http://www.hpevs.com/

There is also a schematic for connections
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Milton,
    What wiring diagram are you using?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    Milton,
    What wiring diagram are you using?
    Finally got the Motor to spin. Seems like i did not connect the interlock wire to 12v. I tried connecting but the controller gave fault code 28. Tried it again today and it worked.. Motor has a spin.

I'l post some build pictures in some time.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Those controllers are particular about the order in which you turn on and off certain inputs, for safety reasons.

From what I recall, Interlock should be completely closed before turning on KSI. If interlock opens, you must cycle KSI.

Glad you got it working.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast