Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: AC-23 Motor not spinning with Curtis 1238 controller

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Will View Post
    I like it!
    It reminds me a little of Graucho's bike.
    Attachment 7346
    Thanks ken.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Cool. What color ya gonna paint it? Mural?
    Thinking of either keeping it bare metal finish it a bit and just clear coat it or go with matte black and bronze. But there is a long time to for that...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by milton View Post
    I am keeping that ratio as an option. My pulley is from Gates and they have quite some options for drive side pulley. If needed I can replace the drive side with a smaller one.
    You'll probably need to ventilate your motor very well. I'm running 7.04:1 and I had to do the following:
    - add 12v radial blower to force air into the openings on the shaft side to ventilate rotor
    - add 12v fan underneath the motor to ventilate stator
    - remove the bell shape cover to help the mechanical fan to suck air out of rotor

The controller also sits on heatsink which are ventilated by two 12v blowers which exhaust is blowing on top of motor.

Which belt have you used ? The Gates Carbon GT ? It has blue teeth, that's the only one which can handle this power in that width and pitch 8 (I presume).
    Regards from Switzerland
    My 2.5 Upgrade Thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hugues View Post
    You'll probably need to ventilate your motor very well. I'm running 7.04:1 and I had to do the following:
    - add 12v radial blower to force air into the openings on the shaft side to ventilate rotor
    - add 12v fan underneath the motor to ventilate stator
    - remove the bell shape cover to help the mechanical fan to suck air out of rotor

The controller also sits on heatsink which are ventilated by two 12v blowers which exhaust is blowing on top of motor.

Which belt have you used ? The Gates Carbon GT ? It has blue teeth, that's the only one which can handle this power in that width and pitch 8 (I presume).
    Yes i got the Gates Carbon GT 1400mm length 8mm pitch. Here is the latest picture with the battries fit in. I have the batteries mounted but dont have a picture of that yet.

Still working on the ventilation aspect for the motor and Controller. Will probably have liquid cool for controller since its sitting on a chill plate. I was thinking of a heat sink as well but will decide on that after a trial run.

The motor's bell shape is outside the bike frame. so it should be good out there.. It might help adding a blower on the shaft side.

IMG_20170511_211848.jpgIMG_20170513_175223.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    has any one used the Domino or Magura throttle? I wanted to know the wiring with Curtis 1238. I wired it up yesterday,
    - white throttle wire to pot low on curtis controller (Purple and white wire)
    - Black throttle wire to pot wiper on curtis controller (Yellow and white wire)
    - Light blue throttle wire to pot high on curtis controller (Black and white wire)

When i turned on the switch the motor just went high, even when i twisted the throttle the motor did not slow down. I tried reversing the pot high and pot low wires but still the same.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Did you program the controller for the correct throttle type? Normally they're set for 2-wire by default. You're using 3-wire.

What pins are you wiring the throttle to on the sealed connector on the Curtis?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    Did you program the controller for the correct throttle type? Normally they're set for 2-wire by default. You're using 3-wire.

What pins are you wiring the throttle to on the sealed connector on the Curtis?
    Pin 15, 16 and 18

If I want to do a 2 wire throttle what pin should i use? Domino has a two wire configuration also. They also have two wire for microswitch. I dont know what that is for though.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    How is your curtis configured? Do you have a programmer?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    How is your curtis configured? Do you have a programmer?
    I do not have a programmer handy but it did work with a another potentiometer with a three wire with a high, middle and low connection. I did not try with the domino throttle earlier

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Can you point me to your documentation for the Domino? And what documentation you're using for wiring the Curtis?

See this:
    http://curtisinstruments.com/Uploads...638E_RevC3.pdf

page 6.

Throttle HIGH is pin 15
    Throttle WIPER is pin 16
    Throttle LOW is pin 18

According to this:
    http://electricmotorcycleforum.com/b...p?topic=5252.0

you have White is Throttle low, Black is throttle wiper, and Blue is throttle high.

Have you tested the throttle with a multimeter?

Are you sure you have the motor phases in the right direction? If they're backwards, it won't align with the encoder, and could spin out of control.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast