Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Mean well question

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

Mean well question

For those of you who have built your own chargers with these power supplies...I cant find the suggested start up sequence.
    I read not to power up 2 mean wells simultaneously due to in rush current. Are you supposed to power up the units individually and then hook up the output to your battery pack, or is it ok to connect the output to the battery pack before you power up?
    is anyone wiring diodes to the output supply, or is the internal protection good enough? I know the outputs are already isolated.
    I just want to make sure I donít damage anything.
    Thanks.
    Original build: http://vorworxemc.wix.com/vorworx
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4

Post Thanks / Like
    I power mine up simultaneously. (RSP-1000-48s) They stay connected to the battery except for long periods of disuse, since there is phantom drain.

Post Thanks / Like
    I power mine up at the same time.
    I do have a diode in between the two in series on the output.
    I also then have a relay to enable the output to then charge the battery and disconnect after a certain voltage is reached.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys. I decided to put a diode in between the two in series outputs also. I put a manual power switch on the input side of one of them just because Meanwell suggested it, so I power them up individually just to be on the safe side. They work perfect and charge the pack up to 90 volts very quickly.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4

Post Thanks / Like
    I forgot to mention that I do have a diode on the output of each MW. This was recommended in case one of them fails while connected to the pack. I'm not sure what failure mode exactly (short circuit?) but apparently without the diodes, one MW failing could kill the other by putting full pack voltage across it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ned... I thought I probably should add another one