Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  27
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: Sachs xtc 125 conversion

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    CONGRATULATIONS! Good news and good work!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.3
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Officially joined the r-E-volution

all sorted, insured and licenced..
    CIMG0662.jpg

Took her for a ride to show my parents and generally staying close to home just to be save.

Not to fast from a complete standstill but above say 20 kph it starts pulling quite nicely i would guess comparable to a modern 300cc, definetly quicker than my old SR500.

Could not get her to take more than 17 kw- but then my controller is still on 55% to run in the battery packs.
    Accellerates effortlessly to 115 kp/h (aprox 72mi) and there is more still. Just found out that the front wheel bearing makes some noise so will swap that out before going bonkers with the xtc.
    Very easy to corner for the CoG being low ( just right for my liking) and the bike being smallish anyway.
    Weard to hear all sorts of noise while riding (fairing craking...), actually i constantly wondered if something come loose. Guess it takes some time to get used to the normal- as in no worries - sounds that may usually be just unhearable when the ic engine is running.
    Back wheel dampener is to "hard" for my liking so that has to be tuned in as well.

On a looong flat stretch it took 4,8 kw at 80kph and 7,9 at 100 (60mi). Without tucking under..Rode it 45km and used up 28 KWh acording to the CA. Had regen upped for this ride and that got me 3kw back when decellerating from 100 so i just tuned it down again some 2%...guess it will take some time to find the sweet spot for my liking.

Have the feeling that this bike will see quite some riding unless - like now - it`s gonna pour down for the rest of the summer.

greets

Flo

3. Likes Richard230, supercub50 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    That s a fun observation too about the noises! I never knew how loud the chain was with a gas engine!LOL
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Congrats on getting all legal. I had an XTC as my first bike and have always thought it'd be a great candidate for a something like a 450 dirt bike lump, but an EV conversion sound even better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Well down Flo! Brilliant build.

I think your calculations are wrong though, even cars don't use 28kWh to travel 48km... You must be measuring or calculating incorrectly. What is your battery capacity as it won't even be 28kWh.

Cheers

Tyler

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    sorry typo

Of course i meant to write 29 Amphrs. from the battery..
    Must have been still hyped by the first rides..

Greets

Flo

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi all
    guess its time for another update.

Weather has not been too favourable to ride lately so got some little tasks finished:
    Replaced front break pads
    Changed front wheel bearings
    and adjusted the handlebars more to my liking
    upped the controller to 75% and now i can get it to take 21KW . As soon the batts are fully run in....
    Had it up to 120 kph but the chain oscilation at that speed prevented me from going faster.
    Guess i will do a 14 tooth front sproked soon ..

AND finally on friday my charger arrived

as the wiring sheme was way off the manual it took me till yesturday to get it to work
    (had to confere with some of my more electronic-educated friends- not to blow it up)

So as of yesturday evening this is a fully usable day to day ride.

Since changing the bearing power consumption has dropped to aprox 4,2ish KW at 80 kph and 6,3ish at 100 kph. on a flat sretch. Who would have thought.
    Uses about 0,67Amphrs per km of mixed riding in the countryside, mainly flat, lots of villages unlike in the US for example.. equalls about 1amphr/mile

Whats left to do?
    well i still have to figure out some chain tensioner as the oscilation that sometimes ocures gets on my nerves..
    probabnly find a space to mout the charger on board so i do not have to carry it in a case or backpack...

greets

flo

flo
    Last edited by flo; 17 July 2019 at 0938.

9. Likes supercub50, Spoonman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Aaand another one

Hi everybody.
    Some news and thoughts after 2 weeks of riding the xtc.
    First off - riding it is just plain awsome, in fact i have already gone 600 km on it while the car has seen only 65 the same time .

Of course i have made some progress on it as well:
    Got some LED headlights onto it last week so now i have to charge the aux battery only every say 10 hrs runtime opposed to only 2 before.
    Much more convenient.
    Early this week i met up with my toolmaker friend Michael for some brainstorming- as how to get the charger fixed to the bike. Of course he came up with a soution for my favorite position.
    And as usual all went in by the amount of "just"- maybe i should rename it the "just"bike
    So i milled up some aluminum leftovers (from various projects) and today - after breaking my fingers multiple times- actually got the charger fixed to the xtc. (there is one- one only - direction to get the charger into the frame, unfortunately it has to be turned than multiple times within the frame to get it into position - without dropping it)

Whats left to do?
    Two major (well little) parts, namely printing two holders for an IEC connector and one for the aux pacs plug so that i do not have to plug directly to the cahrger.
    Eventhough that would not be a major disadvantage by itself, it means, that in case i accidentaly destroy the chargers plug - which is unknown type to me- i would not be able to charge anymore.
    In case i would destroy the IEC connector or forget the charge-cabel i would simply ring some doors and ask someone to borrow me their cable for an hour or so..

Mods to come?
    Of course:
    As mentioned before i will change over to a 14 tooth sproket. But that will have to wait untill the new mill-centerwill be delivered and installed in my buddies work.

So far the bike and overall project has turned out more than satisfying appart from the range that i was expecting.
    Well - let me reprhrase that.
    Its not the range as such, too much of that is depending on your style of riding.
    Its about "bought" or "paid" capacity vs what i am getting out of the cells.
    To get you into the right perspective:
    All cells behave perfectly equal, voltage drop under hard accelleration is 0,1V per cell across the board.
    They still have the same "drift" of 0,3V across the board as when brand new, even after 12 cycles on the "quick charger" without ballancing the drift has remained perfectly equal.
    I see no need to ballance them soon.
    Each individual cell was tested prior install and the weakest showed 21amphrs between 4,1 and 3,5 volts (my range of charge and discharge).
    As i run them in 3p this should give me 63 or say 60 Amphrs
    But when i actually ride it ( not fully run them down yet . but near) i can only charge somewhat more than 2 hrs at 20 Amps? The CA told me 44 Amphrs max so far.
    Ok once run completly down it might go to 48Amphrs.. but where is the rest?
    I am well aware that one gets less out of cells under load - but another 25-ish %.
    To me that is a bit like buy 3 get 1

So how much you guys actually get out of your pacs?
    Would be glad to get some numbers from you guys.

Some pics to give you some ideas or plainly to enjoy

Flo
    CIMG0667.jpgCIMG0669.jpgCIMG0674.jpgCIMG0675.jpgCIMG0677.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    I am seeing probably about the same results. My 75aHr X-ALTS (Dow Kokam) "power down" at 32 miles riding like I normally ride an ICE and the Cycle Analyst shows around 58-60 aHr. Thats not enough to complete a 40 mile Enduro or Hare and Hound loop, and the bike is still too heavy to compete anyway at 419 lbs.
    The cells all stay within 0.02-0.05 v to each other and are safely above the recommended LVC when I notice power decrease. I'm not worried about over discharge because I only live about 6 miles away from work, soon to be only 2 miles from work! Its the perfect vehicle to commute such short distances, as it's not too good on an ICE to start up and drive 2 miles to shut down... it wont even heat up to normal operating temps driving such short distance-not good for an ICE.
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Stevo

i still would have thought to get more out of em.
    Would be very intresting on how much people get out of their 60Ah nissan leaf pacs...

flo

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast