Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  15
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Ludicrous idea time

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceweasel View Post
    Attachment 7412

Here is the drivetrain mocked up into the frame w/ suspension. Not having final spacing on the connection between the motor and transmission shafts makes me nervous about front wheel clearance.
    Hi Spaceweasel

Please tell me roughly what the length is horizontally from the mating face of the drive output (silver housing from left side) to roughly 2" from the rear wheel please. I'm keen to understand if I can fit a motor in that space.

Thanks

Cheers

Tyler

Post Thanks / Like
    Batteries looking good. Do you need the gears? Could you lower the motor and use a belt drive as I suggested to connect the motor to output shaft but keep the motor going forward as laid out?

The batteries could also be mounted vertically rather than horizontally as you showed for better weight distribution and CofG.

Really coming along nicely.

Cheers

Tyler

Post Thanks / Like
    The batteries won't fit vertically with the motor mounted longitudinally. A belt drive would work, but I'm using the transmission to gain length and still mount the swingarm. A more sensible solution might have been to use a belt drive and a shorter motor, but what fun would that be? The battery modules actually sit much lower than the frame line suggests. BMW's frame design has a lower side spar than what most of us are used to seeing. The tops of the batteries are entirely below the neck of the steering stem.

Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerwatts View Post
    Hi Spaceweasel

Please tell me roughly what the length is horizontally from the mating face of the drive output (silver housing from left side) to roughly 2" from the rear wheel please. I'm keen to understand if I can fit a motor in that space.

Thanks

Cheers

Tyler
    That measurement will depend on the swingarm. From the original mockup I've moved to a r1100rs transmission and swingarm, which allows me to move the entire drivetrain further back. Distance from the face of the motor to the center of the rear hub is approximately 36". From motor face to swingarm shock mount is 21". Is that what you were looking for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tomdb View Post
    A whole 15KwHs such a nice large battery for an electric bike.
    Got a side on view so we can see the length of the batteries.

7. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That measurement will depend on the swingarm. From the original mockup I've moved to a r1100rs transmission and swingarm, which allows me to move the entire drivetrain further back. Distance from the face of the motor to the center of the rear hub is approximately 36". From motor face to swingarm shock mount is 21". Is that what you were looking for?
    That's the sort of measurement, yes. Thanks. Is the 1100 gearbox directly interchangeable into the k1200 frame? Does it require the 1100 swingarm?

Cheers

Tyler

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good! You can see how the footpeg mounts on the trans are (maybe, about) 6-8" aft of the footpeg mounts on the frame. Any thoughts about the top shock mount yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tylerwatts View Post
    That's the sort of measurement, yes. Thanks. Is the 1100 gearbox directly interchangeable into the k1200 frame? Does it require the 1100 swingarm?

Cheers

Tyler
    No, it's going to take some fabrication. I'm using the 1100 swingarm and final drive. I prefer the look of the k12 swingarm, but it opens to the other side. Does anyone know the width of a r1200?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChazFisher View Post
    Looks good! You can see how the footpeg mounts on the trans are (maybe, about) 6-8" aft of the footpeg mounts on the frame. Any thoughts about the top shock mount yet?
    Moving the footpegs back works with moving the seating area back to clear the batteries as well. Meeting to discuss fabricating mounts next Tuesday.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast