Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Enertrac 602 vs QS Motor 273

Post Thanks / Like

Enertrac 602 vs QS Motor 273

Hello gentlemen,

Between the Enertrac 602 and the QS Motor 273, which would you choose for a motorcycle hub conversion and why?

The Enertrac is rated for 10kw and the QS Motor for 8kw. How accurate are these ratings and would the difference be drastically noticeable? While the Enertrac is more powerful, it also costs double what the QS Motor costs. I wonder if the extra 2kw is worth it or if I could get by on the cheaper motor.

I am primarily concerned with top speed. Acceleration is not a big deal as long as it does not impede traffic. I would like to be able to do short trips on the highway at 70-80mph for 5-10 minutes. Is that even possible with either motor? The motors would be used at 96-120V, depending on what max voltage they can sustain continuously.

The bike is a small 70's cruiser motorcycle and I will try to make it as light as possible. However, I know that at over 50mph aerodynamics become more of a concern than weight.

However, is Enertrac even still in business? I have sent a couple of emails to the address on their website and also messages to their page on Facebook over the past month. They have yet to reply to any of them.

Finally, are there any other hub motors worth looking into that could satisfy my goals?

Thank you for any input.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi... the main reason I chose not to use a hub motor is all the unsprung weight of the wheel. However, as long as you change the shock with a stiffer spring and heavier oil, you should be able to compensate.
    The advantage is more space between your knees for batteries!
    Original build: http://vorworxemc.wix.com/vorworx
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4

Post Thanks / Like
    If you are concerned about power from your hub motors, you might look at this thread. http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4485

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Hi... the main reason I chose not to use a hub motor is all the unsprung weight of the wheel. However, as long as you change the shock with a stiffer spring and heavier oil, you should be able to compensate.
    The advantage is more space between your knees for batteries!
    e.g. mine in a 400/600/900 RF frame:

(Still dialling the Kelly in atm, can't give you any performance details yet.)
    My Suzuki RF400 build over at ES: http://endless-sphere.com/forums/vie...p?f=12&t=35865
    (Enertrac MHM602, Kelly KHB14301, 6kWh AESC modules (Renault, Nissan))
    Based in Dublin, Ireland

5. Likes Spaceweasel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceweasel View Post
    If you are concerned about power from your hub motors, you might look at this thread. http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4485
    The dual motors are very cool but I can only run a single if I want to use the stock swing arm. Plus I need the spoked version to keep the bike looking period-correct. Although the seller is actually local and he is selling the motors for a great price so it is really upsetting to have to pass up on them. If I had some sort of a modern-looking street bike, I would definitely buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by marcexec View Post
    e.g. mine in a 400/600/900 RF frame:
    Nice project. Is it an Enertrac 602? What voltage do you plan to run? I will most likely also be going with Leaf modules. Whenever you get a chance to ride it, please share your top speed.
    Last edited by Matej; 15 August 2017 at 1827.