Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 2004 Kawasaki ex500

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Also consider using a heavier grade fork oil, like 20 or 25 wt. I think stock the manufacturers use 5 wt oil.
    yeah, my buddy also told me to just use heavier weight fork oil...otherwise you can buy the 'emulators' for different valving in the fork tubes for (adjustable?) damping

cjorgensenmd's EX500

I keep looking at the pictures you've posted, and I have to say I still really like the looks of these bikes...these are great starter bikes(I wish I would of had one when I was first learning how to ride)....but without a doubt; you should be really happy with the mods you have done to it, that 'amps' gauge came out fantastic, the motor mount is gonna look super, did you convert the headlight to different bulb? and what about those front side scoop lights?(I'll add a photo of how I'm doing my scoops to add LED fog lights and a yellow smaller LED marker light in there too, then I have a lens that fits in over both)....will the lower fairing still fit in the front over the battery pack? as I think having that on really adds to the look of the bike....wonderful job so far!

I was over at my shop and looked at my springs and other parts for my EX500
    the fork springs I got are "90kg"(those would have been about right for my kid, but might be too much for me)
    turns out the rear mono shock I got for it is from a next gen 2012 Ninja 250
    ...I also had to get a new/used front sub frame, headlight, handle bar set(which came with lift blocks, helps the riding position to save your back) brake/clutch leavers, bar ends, mirrors, new LED front n rear turn signals w/black smoked lenses(they are only 2wire, so no driving lights only flashers), dark black smoked windshield with flipped up lip(cuts down on wind to the head), frame saver(it thru bolts at the front motor mount, so I dont think you could fit one like that with your battery stack), also got some beefy pegs for passenger foot rests(as these bikes land on those when they get dropped)....I'll just post photos I took, see if it gives you any more ideas

image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg
    Last edited by T Rush; 09 March 2018 at 2349. Reason: added one of cjorgensenmd's pictures, and the photos of my stuff from my phone

Post Thanks / Like
    I really need to update this forum more often. I'll try to upload recent pictures tonight. My bike has been fully functional and road legal since late January and I ride it 10miles one way to work and back daily. It took a while to get the gear ratio right because my math was off when calculating max rpm of the motor vs speed. Anyways the acceleration is amazing and it's fast enough to go on the highways, but my efficiency plummets at speed, so I tend to stick to side roads. I've logged about 600 EV miles so far.

I did put turn signals in the air intake openings on the front fairing. My original fairing was all chewed up, so I bought a fiberglass fairing, but the fit is so poor that I'm strongly considering converting my bike to a streetfighter style. The previous owner had a huge rear wheel on the bike that was starting to show significant dry rot. I got new tires on both wheels, now appropriately sized, and its amazing how much the handling improved. My next project will be to upgrade the front and rear bearings because I hear a faint squeaking noise at speed and very light grinding under heavy braking. They need to be changed every 20,000 miles anyway, so I figure it couldn't hurt anything.

I ran into another problem with my front brake master cylinder. The screws that cover the reservoir are completely sheared off and I've tried numerous bit extractors to remove them so I can flush the lines and add new fluid. I have no idea how long the old fluid has been in there, but I want to replace the master cylinder entirely with an aftermarket solution that has easier access. Do you have any suggestions?

After I sort out the bearings and brake reservoir, I'll look into upgrading the front forks, especially since the bike is now much more front heavy than before.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've always felt the single disc front brake on the EX500 felt kinda 'grabby'
    ...there might be a two rotor solution(dual discs, one on each side of the wheel like bigger super sport bikes) that fits....that might work for smoother and better stopping power.....as long as you have to change that stuff out...or heck, maybe change the whole front end?

oh, I heard of people crashing motorcycles because they didn't flush and replace brake fluid....not to freak you out or anything, until you get it fixed
    ....I guess what happened to one person; was they were going down a very long hill, so had the front brake on for a long time, and because brake fluid absorbs water...the water in the old brake fluid boiled, rapidly expanded, and permanently locked the front brake until it was bled

stock front fairings don't fit well either....you have to bend the sub frame around endlessly to kinda get them lined up(which I'm sure you did)

I know its a personal taste thing....but please dont toss your fairings on that bike....now I can show you a picture of a good looking EX500 'street fighter'(if I can still find it [edit] I did, see video below [/edit])... but so many of those bikes have been wrecked, and the fairing scrapped, that ugly ones are a dime a dozen
    compared to how nicely they sculpted the lines on the EX500 fairings, the 'naked bike' look just doesn't compare well(as you expose so much stuff that was never ment to be seen), esp when looking at another street bike that was designed without fairings
    ...its that whole: "I'm a gonna unbolt the fairings, bob the seat, and rattle can it flat black" thing thats given the EX500 such a bad name and destroyed their book values.....for me; doing that would take it from "oh, thats a cool looking bike and its electric" to "oh, another electric made from a random junk bike"

ok, I hope seeing this doesn't inspire you to screw up your bike, but here is the 'one' EX500 streetfighter that I like

Last edited by T Rush; 13 March 2018 at 0230. Reason: added video

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123