Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Complete newbie wants to go EV racing. Am I just dreaming...?

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by shedster View Post
    Mmmmmm.... I knew it wouldn't be easy....
    Nothing that is worth your time rarely is. I've been at this for 5 years and still trying to get it right!!
    But each new version gets better and better. The components and technology keeps improving and becoming more available. I don't know what kind of supply and prices you have on your side of the pond, but you could build a pretty competitive e-flat tracker here for around $4 grand if you already have a chassis. That's far cheaper than a new Zero.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

Post Thanks / Like
    "Nothing that is worth your time rarely is." Agreed mate, plus if it was easy anybody could do it.... I think I'd have to ship everything over from the States anyway - Chinese stuff would be much cheaper, I can buy a 10kw BDLC motor for 800 bucks, and a controller for the same again, and I know the Chinese are investing heavily in EV technology, but I worry the quality isn't as dependable (I know they can make good stuff, it's just telling the good from the bad via a web page...). Although the VR from Germany uses their components I believe, and it looks a decent bit of kit.

I'd probably be up to spending towards £3k if I really knew it would work, which is around $4k US, but shipping and import charges/taxes would throw another 25% on top of that, I have to think seriously whether I'm prepared to go that far perhaps...

10KWLiquidCooling.jpg

VEC500A.jpg

VRcross.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm re-doing a '10 Zero S for better performance (street bike). Got lucky & picked it up within 2 minutes of my home for $300.

Plans include 13x Nissan Leaf cells (96VDC nominal), Sevcon Gen4/Size6 controller and a Motenergy ME1507 with some suspension mods and (what looks like) Ninja 250 wheels. More progress on my build will be happening within the next month and maybe on the road (hopeful) by next year...
    '10 Zero S project

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dillard View Post
    Seriously? Not much would get me to start posting again, but seriously? That's a downright dangerous thing to advise anyone, much less a confessed "Complete newbie".

Every SINGLE builder I know personally who built lipo packs, with the exception of one, either burned his bike up, or nearly burned his shop down, and mostly both. Do some research. A LOT of research, and then come back and tell me "have no fear of using lipos", please. There's plenty of information here, but the most is on Endless Sphere, of course.

Hi Ted,
    hmm, you are right i should not have put it that way.
    On the other hand i have used lipos in my other hobby since they first apeared and fires have happened but mostly in the past.
    first off modern lipos all use a portion of manganese to make them saver, even if not mentioned in the name, and thus they do not burn as easy as in the past.
    second as i said if treated right (charge/discharge/ballance...)there is simply no reason to burn.

OF COURSE you may not use them careless and anything could always happen anytime.

I merely should have said that using them the right way they are ok and for doing so he will find help here and on es .

Ted is absolutely right with his words of caution, you will first have to learn how lipos work and have to be treated. period.

thanks Ted for your words
    mine werent meant to be so careless.

flo

5. Likes shedster liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have edited my first post to hopefully a better phrasing. In order not to spread misinformation.
    Thanks Ted for pointing me that way. Wasn`t to sound as it turned out- just lax - i take all the blame.

flo

Post Thanks / Like
    No worries, but one more point. Sure, you may have used lipo in your RC hobbies, a lot of us have. Have you built a 90+V 50ah+ pack with them? When you try to build, charge and balance a pack that size, stuff gets real, real fast.

On a more constructive tangent, there are now a lot of battery options that are much safer than lipo and give you as much performance - the Chevy Volt packs coming on the salvage market would be my personal choice. Over 20C, and safe as milk.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

8. Likes shedster liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12