Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arduino Based E-Bike Control Computer

Post Thanks / Like
    Learning curve is the put off for me i am new to coding and still learning electronics so the simpler the better at the moment i hear what you are are saying but its just above my pay grade the multitasking would be nice tho but more tasks more power consumption..? maybe? every mA counts

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow SLVRGHST On Twitter Add SLVRGHST on Facebook
    Add SLVRGHST on Linkedin
    @Bernel - Sounds like you are ahead of the curve on many areas of an integrated Arduino dash and instrumentation setup. Would you be willing to share your parts list and Arduino sketches so that others like myself could learn/understand and adapt your knowledge to our own? Perhaps start a specific thread on this forum if you haven't? Or point us to wherever you may have shared this already? It would be greatly appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Slvrghst, yes it is my intention to share and as soon as I find the time and patience I will make all my code and hardware available.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add SLVRGHST on Linkedin
    @Bernel - Thank you. And understood.

@ALL - I have been working on a homemade e-motorcycle build using an 81' CB750 and its ICE removed. I have the majority of the parts together to build it but I always had this idea of using something different than the basic display you can get for e-bikes. The display like the Cycle Analyst v2.3 seems too basic. I have been following Steveo's thread on elmoto with great interest and even downloaded the paper hi had linked there. Lot's of ideas there that others have offered. The whole integrating with CANBus is interesting... with CANOpen being almost like working with a MODBUS layer, ideas like those can get pretty deep AND expensive (right Stevo?). I have just started down the Arduino road - taking online courses, building labs - and it has been great fun! I believe that I should be able to integrate an Arduino board (ie. Mega2560)with a large display to show the insrtumentation I am looking for... or... my smartphone maybe? I enjoy the learning through the research and tinkering I am going through now. When I have something solid, I will share my project too.
    Last edited by SLVRGHST; 24 January 2018 at 1110.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Thank you for the interest. I have so much to learn and I will share everything here. I have found some very good educational links and its just gonna take time to figure it all out. I am making progress, just some annoying road blocks, such as using my Ubuntu based laptop to program Arduino (Linux is a outstanding but you have to make it work for you), configuring ESP8266 wifi module has been challenging and I'm still not there yet, HC-05 Bluetooth module connecting but still only halfway communicating...etcetcetc.

As far as hardware goes...What is the best way to independently monitor 25 cells? The ESP8266 has built in I think 14 or 15 digital pins that can be used for inputs. I thought I might be able to use this as a standalone, but I was wrong.

I have been trying to think of a way that I can monitor each cell independantly, then balance the highest cell with the lowest cell as a loop function for up to 5 seconds, then loop again. This way, I only need to make one balancing circuit. If I can get that working well, then I can add more balancing circuits and balance more cells per loop.
    Last edited by Stevo; 25 January 2018 at 1328.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernel View Post
    I have two Arduino Mega's, one running a 5 inch tft
    What type of Screen are you running? I have been looking for one for my project. How does it show in the sunlight, and can it handle getting wet if it rains a bit? I have been looking at some with dedicated micro-controller drivers and an i2c connection so you don't need a separate arduino to run the screen. Its tough to choose one from online specs though. I'm definitely interested in the opinion of someone who is using one for a similar purpose.
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add SLVRGHST on Linkedin
    @furyphoto - I am not that far along yet with my display project but I settled for this baby to work with:
    7" TFT Screen Touch LCD Display Module w/SSD1963 Controller Board,MCU

It's the largest one I would consider putting on my bike. With an enclosure and the resistive touch sensor cover (like your typical car navigation display), it is considered water resistant but I wouldn't say water proof. It would depend on what kind of seal you can give the display itself once it is inside the enclosure you pick/design/build. It will be fun tinkering with this one to see what I can learn, and make it do. By the way, if you're ordering from these guys, take heed... the Chinese New Year begins next week. Their factory is closed from Feb 8 to Feb 25. Anything that they don't already have in stock will have a lead time of about 4 to 6 weeks depending.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    SLVRGHST,
    I used to scuba many years ago. Seeing how things were waterproofed helps me understand. Components incorporate rubber o-rings lubed with Si grease, compressed either by a threaded cap or screwed down lid.
    My suggestion for waterproofing the touch display would be by making a gasket with a uniform bead of silicone around the outer edge of the screen, then let it set. Maybe clean the display first before gluing with some acetone. The cover of the display will have the cut out so your finger can touch the screen, and then compress the glue bead gasket by using screws spaced around the display pcb. You could put a little Si grease on top of the set glue bead before you place the cover on to really give it a good seal.

I think I'm still going with a IP68 waterproof rugged Android tablet for my display.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    OH BTW!!!
    Someone was questioning whether or not the touch screen could be used while wearing riding gloves...
    I can use nitrile exam gloves on the touch screen of my smartphone, so I'm thinking if there is a problem with wearing motorcycle gloves, you could maybe glue some nitrile fingertips onto the tip of the index finger on your riding gloves. It may not even have to be glued because it will be stretched on like a good fitting condom!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12