Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Titling and Registration

Post Thanks / Like

Titling and Registration

Hi all,

I have pretty much finished my bike, aside from some tinkering here and there, and I am wondering if anyone has any info to share regarding titling and registration. I am in the state of Maryland and my ebike is built on a 1986 Ninja and is currently titled as such. I have looked into ways of titling a “homemade” motorcycle and it seems as if that’s what I need to do, but I figured I’d ask if anyone here had any specific helpful tips before I move forward.

I haven’t been on here in awhile, but my bike is a 60v system using LiFePo4 New Energy cells, a ME1003 motor, and Alltrax AXE7245 controller.
    You can see it here: http://www.evalbum.com/preview.php?vid=5211

Thanks in advance!
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."
    - Douglas Adams

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have close family in MD but I've never lived there. Here in CA, the DMV wanted the VIN number to match the number stamped on the ICE. Since there was no engine stamp, I had to get mine inspected by the CHP. The officer had no problem with it... he made me a metal sticker to put on the motor with the VIN to match up. I have the sticker in my drawer so I can swap out different motors now that I'm legal and plated.
    Good luck!!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, Stevo. That’s pretty much how it goes here, in that you have to have it inspected by the state police. However, it appears that they want you to pay additional taxes, which I don’t understand since I paid the taxes when I bought the individual parts. I guess I will just contact the MVA and see what they say.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair."
    - Douglas Adams

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    ya... CA is catching on that ev's dont pay gasoline tax, which goes towards hwy maintenance, so they have to get it from us somewhere!!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2