Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harley "on target to launch its first electric motorcycle within 18 months"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I think they are starting to go in the right direction, finally. They should have seriously started back when they had Eric working with them. It may prove to be too little, too late. We'll see.
    Well, I don't know about the design of their new Pan American IC model. Apparently H-D got their inspiration from their early robot design attempts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a link to a few photos of H-D's "lightweight" electric motorcycle concept designs. But these things really look like random sketches and are surely not anything that H-D would be manufacturing any time soon. I see them as merely "trial balloons" to either test the market waters or to generate free advertising and news articles for H-D. To me it feels like H-D is just throwing stuff at the EV dart board to see what sticks: https://electricmotorcycles.news/new...c-motorcycles/
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Why does "Aermacchi 350 SS Sprint" suddenly pop into my mind?

...I dunno. Last job I got it took about 3 months of discussion and interviews and a 2 month trial period before I even had the job. If you're an EV product developer on a new product launch, is that any faster? That gives them about 6 months to come to market, I reckon...
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dillard View Post
    Why does "Aermacchi 350 SS Sprint" suddenly pop into my mind?

...I dunno. Last job I got it took about 3 months of discussion and interviews and a 2 month trial period before I even had the job. If you're an EV product developer on a new product launch, is that any faster? That gives them about 6 months to come to market, I reckon...
    Good luck with that. Especially with a big company like H-D. I bet they have about a dozen departments that first have to sign off on every engineering and design aspect of the new electric models. And then you have the Board, who probably want to stick their fingers into everything built by the company. I bet every new product manager in the company is thinking about Buell and what happened to that little escapade. And I don't even want to think about what would be required to train the various dealership service departments V-twin goons to work on high voltage electric vehicles. That is not going to be fun.

According to my friend who owns a Buell CityX, his H-D dealership refused to work on his bike until a specialized Buell mechanic could be engaged to service the bike, which only occurred on Fridays and even then sometimes the guy wouldn't show up and my friend would end up wasting a trip to the shop, after taking time off from work. He was not a happy camper. However, he did have no problems ordering or receiving parts for his bike.
    Last edited by Richard230; 02 August 2018 at 0737.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Richard, how does that make any sense? Considering all of the early Buells had HD engines. Eric didn't switch to Rotax until after he departed HD. It seems to me that any HD mechanic could work on any HD Buell. The company has had it's head so far up its a$$ for so long, I don't think they will ever be able to pull it out!

For sure I got a little worried when I read that Alta had teamed with them. I hope that doesn't ruin their chances of succeeding.
    Last edited by Stevo; 02 August 2018 at 1033.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Richard, how does that make any sense? Considering all of the early Buells had HD engines. Eric didn't switch to Rotax until after he departed HD. It seems to me that any HD mechanic could work on any HD Buell. The company has had it's head so far up its a$$ for so long, I don't think they will ever be able to pull it out!

For sure I got a little worried when I read that Alta had teamed with them. I hope that doesn't ruin their chances of succeeding.
    That was kind of my point. For whatever reason, none of the shop's mechanics wanted to work on a Buell. While the engine was mostly the same, apparently it was different enough from the stock Sportster engine that they didn't feel comfortable working on the bike - without holding the service manual in one hand. Either that or the guy that had to work on a Buell got laughed at by the other mechanics. After all, you know how H-D customers feel about the little Sportster, which they feel is a "girly" bike. My brother has a friend who's girlfriend just bought a new Sportster and she is already being pressured to dump the little bike and buy a real Hog. With peer pressure like that, it really makes me wonder how H-D is going to market the new models and get their customers to accept them. After all, who wants to be laughed at for buying electric and not a 117 CI V-Twin?

Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, man does this sound expensive... but who are we kidding... HD has always been on the higher end of the price point.

Post Thanks / Like
    Huh. This news from Asphalt and Rubber: "Harley-Davidson and Alta Motors Are Parting Ways" It's an interesting read, go for it:

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rum...tors-break-up/

...also has a photo of something that actually looks like a Harley electric motorcycle (unlike the LiveWire):

harley-davidson-electric-motorcycle-street-tracker.jpg

...also answers my question, "What the hell has Beeler been up to lately?"
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dillard View Post
    Huh. This news from Asphalt and Rubber: "Harley-Davidson and Alta Motors Are Parting Ways" It's an interesting read, go for it:

https://www.asphaltandrubber.com/rum...tors-break-up/

...also has a photo of something that actually looks like a Harley electric motorcycle (unlike the LiveWire):

harley-davidson-electric-motorcycle-street-tracker.jpg

...also answers my question, "What the hell has Beeler been up to lately?"
    Why am I not surprised? That is what H-D has done in the past with every small motorcycle/trike manufacturer that they have purchased during the past 50 years. Only this time it looks like the dumping has happened even faster than in the past. Usually it takes at least a couple of years before they pull the plug. At least they seem to be leaving the scene before actually closing the company. In the long-run this may be the best thing for Alta Motors. H-D is like some sort of T-Rex that goes around eating small manufacturers and shitting them out its rear, eventually never to be heard of again. It really makes you wonder who is making these kind of decisions at H-D and why?

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    "Copying" is not the same as "creating". Yes, stealing or "borrowing" ideas can help you make progress, but it misses the entire development process. It may allow you to jump a few steps ahead, but then what? You are back to where you started. Not having any real direction and looking for the next best idea to steal. You'll always be behind the learning curve.

Speaking of stealing ideas... Ideas themselves can't be patented, can they? Are "Intellectual Property" merely just ideas?
    The beautiful thing about a forum like ElMoto.net is that when you submit a post on-line, it's time and date stamped. Proof positive of your idea/concept being original and your "intellectual property". But once it's posted in public domain, it becomes available to everyone who wants it. Much like Open Source software. It's true that someone with similar ideas or more money and resources can use the info that you submit and progress their concept at a faster clip. That's progress and why the internet has sped up technological progress to exponential rates of speed. Unfortunately, I believe there are many inventors who get nothing in return, for the "greater good of the masses" (corporate greed). Tesla died a poor and destitute man. But he was brilliant!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast