Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: H-D invests in Alta Motors

Post Thanks / Like

H-D invests in Alta Motors

Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Oooooh!

Could be good...
    '10 Zero S project

Post Thanks / Like
    Kind of reminds me of when Polaris invested in Brammo. Hopefully Alta has a better business plan than Brammo did.
    https://electricmotorcycles.news/har...n-alta-motors/
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

4. Likes Ted Dillard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook
    The Livewire was fun to ride... for 20 min, but it was a technological dud. Many private builds were miles ahead. If HD wants to release an electric, piggybacking on Alta tech is a good idea. But one electric bike isn't going to save Harley. (even a really good one)

HD seems to be completely unable to adapt to market changes, still pumping out the same boring looking cruisers. I can hardly tell the difference between their models. Their customer base is literally dying, they need to increase their appeal if they want to maintain market share. I noticed a couple of years ago that their photos were more of young guys on cruiser bikes instead of old guys on cruiser bikes. But that won't be enough either.

I'm always confused as to why Motorcycle Manufacturers don't seem to take cues from the custom bike scene. Occasionally a see custom Harley on Bike EXIF that makes me think. "if HD actually made something like THAT, I might even consider riding one".

I think they are afraid that if they adjust their product line too much they will lose their base. But the base is dwindling. They have to redefine 'American Motorcycle', cause now it just means heavy, slow bikes for old guys. An electric is a step in the right direction, but if it's the only egg in their basket.....
    Last edited by furyphoto; 02 March 2018 at 1638. Reason: cnat sepll
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Post Thanks / Like
    Very astute observations. Makes you think that maybe killing off Buell a few years ago was short sighted on thier part...
    '10 Zero S project

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eric was banging his head up against a big corporate wall...
    He was forced to switch to a Rotax engine because HD hasn't had a worthwhile engine development in decades.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    And to add to H-D's concerns: the EU (where H-D's market has been growing and is a good market to sell electric motorcycles) is now proposing to place a tariff on H-D motorcycle imports in retaliation for Trump's declaration of a trade war on the rest of the world yesterday. The Year of the Dog is not going to be a happy one.