Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  4
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: USA Leaf owner wants to convert Derbi supermotard

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    That's about right for the charging calculation, it ought to take between 4-5 hours if you discharge all the way (which you really shouldn't in practice). Also, the last part of charge takes the longest.... as it just sort of trickles in. The bulk of the charging will be done in the first 3-4 hours.

Did you get my message?

Post Thanks / Like
    yes, got message and now replied...sounds great, thanks

but on the motor, surely you guys think I should go for alittle bigger motor, right?

I'm thinking about the added stress the chassis will have to bare with at least 50lbs more weight than the bike came with from the factory in Spain
    ...and while it is a very well built steel frame, and battery weight will be distributed nicely; putting the torque twisting of the motor in a different location is really the only spot that I think any reinforcement will need to be addressed....so all this seems like a lot of work to do for just a 3kw motor, and it would me more worthwhile to up that to 5kw of power

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by T Rush View Post
    yes, got message and now replied...sounds great, thanks

but on the motor, surely you guys think I should go for alittle bigger motor, right?

I'm thinking about the added stress the chassis will have to bare with at least 50lbs more weight than the bike came with from the factory in Spain
    ...and while it is a very well built steel frame, and battery weight will be distributed nicely; putting the torque twisting of the motor in a different location is really the only spot that I think any reinforcement will need to be addressed....so all this seems like a lot of work to do for just a 3kw motor, and it would me more worthwhile to up that to 5kw of power
    For whatever it is worth, my son-in-law's first experience with electric power was installing a 3kW hub motor and a pile of NiMH batteries on a mountain bicycle chassis. He never had a structural issues and the thing would get up to 45 mph, but braking (or lack thereof) was a real issue as was trying to pedal the monster once the battery power expired. So that motor and battery set got sold off and replaced with a 250-watt hub motor and a Li battery pack.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    ...3kW hub motor and a pile of NiMH batteries on a mountain bicycle chassis. He never had a structural issues and the thing would get up to 45 mph...
    see, I think thats kinda my point...what did the electric bicycle end up weighing? sure 100lbs or more is really heavy for a bicycle(so hard to stop and pedal) and a 3kw motor can really zip a bike under 200lbs up to speed quick....but what happens with that same motor on a full sized motorcycle that has 80lbs of Nissan Leaf battery modules on it

I was looking for other people who had used these same 3kw motors on motorcycles...and I found this video :
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fHEAnsG5ss < used the same GoldenMotor HPM3000B motor and controller I was looking at, but his finished bike weights only 65kg
    now while I'd be happy with the type of performance that guy is getting, the donor motorcycle he started with is actually smaller than the Derbi; and you can see how striped down his bike is, with a much lighter battery pack....when my el.motorcycle is done, I probably wont be able to lift it up off the ground anymore with it weighing 250~300lbs...and if possible, I'd like to get it up to 55~60mph.....in the first photo I posted the Derbi looks kinda small....but here I found another photo of my actual bike right after I got it next to the other motorcycles I owned at the time....you can see by comparing its size, its much larger than a bicycle

Last edited by T Rush; 16 March 2018 at 0850.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Can you fit an ME1507/Sevcon Gen4 inside it? Maybe a smaller ME1302/1304?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    Can you fit an ME1507/Sevcon Gen4 inside it? Maybe a smaller ME1302/1304?
    I wish...I was looking at what else you had, I think those are too big, heavy, and more power than is nessasary

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Can it be air cooled? or does it have to be sealed?

the Golden might be your best bet. Maybe the 10kw?

Post Thanks / Like
    10kw
    ...the motor can only be around 8" dia max and about 5" wide, the 5kw HPM5000B is pushing that

I was reading that guy's(in the video) experience with the HPM3000B, and he said it got pretty hot...and up where I would mount, idk about air flow...so was thinking I could do liquid cooled(I know I know, more weight and stuff to add to the bike; that doesnt need to get bigger, heavier, nor more complicated) but in the 3kw to 5kw motor sizes, I'd hope that you wouldn't need a massive radiator and pump?

and even thought that might be a plus to going up to the 5kw HPM5000B, so I'm running it at less of its capacity vs a smaller motor at near max most of the time....a little cooler maybe?
    Last edited by T Rush; 16 March 2018 at 0941.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    You still have your radiator right? or was it air cooled before?

Post Thanks / Like
    still have it...was gonna see if it would mount under the tail with a fan(fill tank higher under the seat), so its directly connected closely to the motor

I'd figure the motor might get hottest during play times and stop and go....so many times it might not get the best natural air flow in a more normal location mounted up front, and having it in the back would be ok....tho it wouldn't be impossible to run hoses up to the front if i'd have to
    Last edited by T Rush; 16 March 2018 at 0954.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast