Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2000 Kawasaki ZX6R conversion!

Post Thanks / Like
    The Gen4 maxes at 116.4V or so. 28 lithium ion cells in series is the max youíll want to do. You can pull a max of ~63kW from the battery with one of those. Iíve done that in the past.

If you use the 82Ah Leafs cells you could get the energy you want at 28s. Or run 4 in parallel of the CMax cells I mentioned and get 100Ah at 28s.

You may have seen me mention the ME1616 being wound different. I havenít seen anywhere thatís it is specifically offered. I was simply speculating that it could be an option. The sevcon is your best option for cheap and easy, but Iíd love to see someone push the limits of a ME1616

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

2. Likes Nicman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicman View Post
    You're right. I was looking at http://www.electricmotorsport.com/me...r-24-120v.html

...but $1,500.

I don't have the radiator with this bike (sadly it wasn't part of the deal). I saw somewhere that there are different windings for the ME1616 that can go above 96v. If that's the case, I have enough room for 132v of 64AH nissan Leaf batteries, so I'd just need a controller and the appropriately wound (winded?) ME1616, plus a controller to like a sevcon with a wide enough voltage range to handle the pack. I think the Gen4 goes to 132v but can only handle 50KW. If that ends up being too much of a headache, I'll just stick with the 96v ME1616 and hopefully be able to put a few of the modules in parallel just to increase range. I'll have to read up on it to see if that would be okay or not for the battery health and charging.
    They're a bit more expensive than I'm selling them for I don't think there's a different 1616 anywhere (not that I can find). You're still going to be limited right now to what is available in the market for this motor. I don't know of other offerings of controllers paired to this motor currently.

I have a surplus of the 116VDC controllers, which is why they're cheaper. The Sevcon's that go over that voltage are harder to get and suppliers like me have to buy in quantity or go direct (and those that do sell those controllers will ask much more for them). Another thing to consider is that once you start going over about 120V, the DC-DC converter, Chargers, Relays, etc, start to get more expensive and harder to find because of the voltage ranges.

Just mentioning: If you wanted to keep it under 100V, I've got 72V chargers with DC-DC converter inside already (can programmed to finish right around 100V). Then you can parallel more cells together.
    Last edited by frodus; 08 March 2018 at 0847.

Post Thanks / Like
    Iím sitting on 90v at the moment, but the ME1003 is only a 72v motor. Not sure how much actual voltage goes into it for Max RPM which is really low at 3050.

If the 1616 is wound for 96V, and the sevcon can take 116, Iíll aim for 116v of battery. Paralleling controllers is something I know nothing about, maybe itís only for higher voltage stuff (~300v plus?)
    I really think the 1616 will do what I thought I could get out of the me1003 two years ago. Iím mildly content with the performance, so seeing that the 1616 is higher hp and has a much larger RPM (~8000) I think that will work much better for my end goal of being able to cruise at highway speeds without using too much amperage.

Frodus, Iíll PM you and we can work something out.

Thanks for all the help everyone! Itís this community that keeps me motivated to design, build and repeat. I have so much more to learn...

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    This community is awesome. It's where I started back when there was like 10 people on the forum when I built my bike in 2008ish.

You can just do 90V if you want, and upgrade to more cells in series later. Do you have a battery charger?

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I cant imagine that you would really NEED to go that high of voltage. This motor is BIG and should be ample power for my purposes anyway. As batteries improve, our packs should get lighter and range will improve... I expect my conversion to be like a fine red wine...just gets better with age!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Exactly. I started with a brushed Series wound motor and controller and lead acid batteries. Upgraded to Lithium and an AC20 motor.... towards the end though, I got a Brammo Empulse ...hehe.

Post Thanks / Like
    Its been a while since I've checked in!
    I have made a grand total of zero progress on the bike. I got a new job and am going to school for my last 2 classes this summer and have NO FREE TIME!
    I have decided that I will be using the ME1616 and am looking for a controller that will handle THIS battery pack.
    mb2.jpg

6kWh, 111V nominal, 130v MAX, 52Ah LiTec pack from a SmartFourTwo car.
    I was thinking about this Kelly

http://kellycontroller.com/kac96601-...er-p-1432.html
    but I need to make sure it can be programmed to accept 130V.
    The SevCon Gen 4 can accept that voltage (up to ~126v or 130v I think) but its rated continuous power is a bit lower at 17.6Kw compared to the Kelly at 23KW.

I'll have to check in later but I wanted this thread to stay alive. in about 2 months when things calm down and I'm finished with my degree, I'll be able to focus on this project. (I'll be e-mailing you Travis).

Finding a charger will be a bit of an issue since DeltaQ doesn't go above 100v but I'll find something that will work.
    Last edited by Nicman; 08 June 2018 at 0859. Reason: added picture

Post Thanks / Like

2000 Kawasaki ZX6R conversion!

Sevcon can only go up to about 117.6V or so. They do have a higher voltage unit that goes to 150V, but those are harder to find. I would always choose the Sevcon over the Kelly. 28s is the max the Sevcon will handle.

I like the motor choice. What makes you want that battery pack?

Edit: Thatís a solid price on that battery pack. I can understand the choice.

Last edited by Nuts & Volts; 09 June 2018 at 1136.
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts & Volts View Post
    I like the motor choice. What makes you want that battery pack?

I am able to fit two of these packs on my ZX6R. I'll have about 12KWh for range. Sadly they are 101 lbs each. but I'll be reinforcing the suspension.

They are also on clearance right now which is a huge factor. $$$

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ That was my problem also... I sold the radiators with my ICE parts years ago not thinking I would need them some day...
    They actually wouldn't have worked because of space restraints anyway...This ME1616 is BIG!
    I'm "procuring" my cooling system the hard way and welding much of it up myself. It's been a slow learning process but getting close to success, one little leak to fix... and the fit of all the parts is looking sweet. Ive got all the 12 volt system wired, now working on getting the controller wired.... getting very close to testing.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast