Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  3
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2000 Kawasaki ZX6R conversion!

Post Thanks / Like

2000 Kawasaki ZX6R conversion!

Time to upgrade!
    This will be a slower project, but much faster than the first bike. I learned a lot with the 2008 ninja 250R and it seems like there are no GSXR frames that donít have blown motors. The motor outlives the frame Iím guessing...
    But I found a good deal on this 2000 ZX6R.
    Frame is straight, all aluminum, got the motor for free(which I plan to sell to help finance e-parts).

Needs some work, the left fork seal is toast, some missing parts, but the brakes are perfect and the bike weighs about 145 lbs without the motor. Pretty good start? I hope so!
    IMG_6030.JPGIMG_6032.JPGIMG_6033.JPGIMG_6034.JPGIMG_6035.JPG

I am torn between the AC-20 or the ME1616.
    I like Leaf batteries a lot but I might try the 18650ís. Iím looking for about 9KWh or capacity at ~132V.
    Or if I can talk my wife into it, 320v system with a remy core.

That will only happen if I can sell the 250R.

Hit me up if you want to buy! I live in Jacksonville, Florida.

Anyway, this will be fun and I have to somehow figure out how to keep it under $10,000.

I am looking for Lightning acceleration but a top speed of *only* 110MPH.

The range will be much more important as well as fast charging and the possibility of a J1772. I want to be able to hit 100 miles on one charge. That way I can take a cruise around the whole city (which is huge).

I seem to have a ton of room on this frame so 132v is not impossible but Iím not sure about how I would even get to 320-330v.

Any ideas, like always, are appreciated!!!

This is going to be fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Check out CMax Energi battery cells. You can get a salvaged pack (84cells I think) 8kWh for $800-1200. They should be good for 10-20C peak at least and package pretty well. Not as good energy density as Leaf cells, but they are on the smaller side and can be arranged however you want them really. Low voltage or high voltage

Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

3. Likes Nicman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just to add,my vote would be for the ME1616. Itís a lighter package that will be more efficient overall. This will improve your range. And if you want to start pushing the power you have that liquid cooling built in that the AC-20 wonít be able to keep up with I believe. I do like the higher voltage/power that the Curtis controllers allow

Also think the Remy core would be overkill. I understand itís cheap and thatís hard to pass up, but getting a shaft/case/mounting/control of it adds a lot of complexity to the project. But if you do want to go that route. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263422656873

Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    For water cooled, the ME1616 is a greaty choice. It's a helluva motor (not small). For air cooled, the ME1507 (same rotor and stator) is a good choice. I think they'd fit the frame better than an AC20, and I think they put out more power per lb.

Shameless plug: I sell both the motor and controller (and accessories) on my website. I started back in 2010 or so, officially in 2011 selling parts to the DIY community because there's not a ton of great suppliers. Quite a few people from this site have bought from me in the past. Check me out: www.emf-power.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts & Volts View Post
    Just to add,my vote would be for the ME1616. Itís a lighter package that will be more efficient overall. This will improve your range. And if you want to start pushing the power you have that liquid cooling built in that the AC-20 wonít be able to keep up with I believe. I do like the higher voltage/power that the Curtis controllers allow

Also think the Remy core would be overkill. I understand itís cheap and thatís hard to pass up, but getting a shaft/case/mounting/control of it adds a lot of complexity to the project. But if you do want to go that route. https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F263422656873

That rely core I was looking at was $16,000... are we talking about the same thing?

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Nicman,
    Then it wasn't likely just the Remy core/cartridge. The cores can be found second-hand or surplus stock for under $2k. The problem, is that you're going to spend another ~$5k on a controller (like a Rinehart) and a ton of time putting it into a suitable enclosure that cools it properly. Unless you're racing with a big budget, it's a bit overkill IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yea I was talking about Remy motor cores that come out of Chevy 2 motor hybrids or some BMW hybrid transmissions. Those donít have a separate case on them.

Youíre probably looking at the AM Racing setup. EV drive sells them.

Or you can get one of these.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222830073467

Either way I agree with Frodus a Remy is overkill. Your money is better spent on a custom controller getting 80kW out of the ME1616

9. Likes Nicman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts & Volts View Post
    Yea I was talking about Remy motor cores that come out of Chevy 2 motor hybrids or some BMW hybrid transmissions. Those donít have a separate case on them.

Youíre probably looking at the AM Racing setup. EV drive sells them.

Or you can get one of these.
    https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F222830073467

Either way I agree with Frodus a Remy is overkill. Your money is better spent on a custom controller getting 80kW out of the ME1616

Yes. Ev drive.
    The 110LV setup looked perfect except for the price tag. I saw that ME1616 on evdrives but it didnít include the cooling system.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    The cooling system is fairly easy to procure. If you already have the motorcycle, you already have a radiator, and only need a pump.

The System I sell is 114VDC max with the Sevcon Gen4 Size 6 550A (660A peak) controller. It's the same controller as was in my old Brammo Empulse, and my bike would get up and go. It's the same controller in the Sero SR.

Also, that isn't the ME1616 on EVDrive.com's website. That's an ME1302 or ME1304. The ME1616 is bigger and higher power.
    Last edited by frodus; 07 March 2018 at 0856.

Post Thanks / Like
    You're right. I was looking at http://www.electricmotorsport.com/me...r-24-120v.html

...but $1,500.

I don't have the radiator with this bike (sadly it wasn't part of the deal). I saw somewhere that there are different windings for the ME1616 that can go above 96v. If that's the case, I have enough room for 132v of 64AH nissan Leaf batteries, so I'd just need a controller and the appropriately wound (winded?) ME1616, plus a controller to like a sevcon with a wide enough voltage range to handle the pack. I think the Gen4 goes to 132v but can only handle 50KW. If that ends up being too much of a headache, I'll just stick with the 96v ME1616 and hopefully be able to put a few of the modules in parallel just to increase range. I'll have to read up on it to see if that would be okay or not for the battery health and charging.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast