Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how do you put a J1772 port on a DIY motorcycle?

Post Thanks / Like

Question how do you put a J1772 port on a DIY motorcycle?

can I use a standard charging port/plug n home cord/station on a small bike I want to build?

what on-board charger would I have to use with a SAE J1772 connection for 9 module Leaf battery pack at ~72volts
    (trying to keep the costs down on this first build, but would like to use charging stations and charge the same way that we do the car at home)

sae-j1772c_large.jpg

or does a DIY solution like that not exist, or is high dollar to do?
    Last edited by T Rush; 08 March 2018 at 0607.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes you can do this on a DIY bike. I used one on my R6 build. Worked well.

Just wire the Jplug to the AC input of any charger and then wire a separate resistor and switch to the signal pins if the Jplug. This turns the Jplug into a switched AC input basically. Just make sure your charger will not pull more than 6.6kW from the charging station and you’re good to go. The specific circuit can be found with a simple google search.

You can get more complicated and create a micro/arduino that will communicate with the charge station as well if needed I believe. This could limit the current and stop/start the charging automatically if done right.

I have two spare Jplugs that I could sell you. PM if interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, great!...I will message you when I am ready to buy everything

so vs making another thread....I'm just clueless when I'm looking at chargers for some reason, and there isn't a forum section for them in 'parts'
    ....the ones I've seen forsale online are either cheap or really expensive, and I am NOT an electrical engineer...I barely can do the math in Ohm's Law and can't tell 1KW from 1000watts! ...to make things worse for me; sellers list specs(like with a motor for example) completely differently...some list KW, others Nm, hp or whatever they think sounds best, and who even knows if these figures aren't inflated ....its making me really dizzy
    ...I'm just trying to figure out how to rebuild a little motorcycle into electric drive...so dont want to spend $2000 on a super charger in a bike thats got a $300 motor with a $288 controller....but I dont want one that takes a week to charge 9 Leaf modules
    ...so like am I after a certain 'amp' rate output? or what do I look for....whats just something low cost affordable that works and then I can upgrade later

[edit]
    oh, maybe I want a DELTAQ QUIQ BATTERY CHARGER WITH DC-DC as I'm aiming for a 72v system...I saw those before from a few other sellers, but didn't know if they were good or not...but gosh, 16 x 10 x 8 in is pretty big to fit on my little bike....eh, I might know a spot...and those will run my 12v stuff too while riding? so thats one less part....as gonna try to make this as simple and clean as possible
    [/edit]
    Last edited by T Rush; 08 March 2018 at 0936.

Post Thanks / Like
    Batteries in series add voltage. Batteries in Parallel add capacity (Ah or amp-hours). Nominal Voltage times capacity (V*Ah) equals energy (Wh). 100V *100Ah = 10000Wh or 10kWh

Voltage times current (A) equals power. 100V * 100A = 10000W or 10kW. Run something at 10kW for 1 hour and you will use 10kWhs of energy.

All of this works both for motors and for chargers*.

For chargers, how fast do you want to charge? 9 Leaf modules is 66.6V nominally (9*7.4V each) and 64Ah. So energy is 4262 Wh (66.6*64). In real life the cells are lower capacity because the decrease with use and over time.
    Lets say you want to charge in 4 hours. So from 0-100% you will need 1065W (4262Wh/4h). Now chargers slow down at the top end so this is a slight underestimate.

You can look at it from another prospective. You want to buy a 400W charger because its cheap. How long will that take? 4262 Wh / 400W = 10.7 hours.

Hope that helps. So first thing to do is figure out how fast you would like to charge or how much you want to spend. Then we can recommend from there.

Edit: Link to Jplug wiring https://evtv.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/j1772-1.jpg
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use 2 Meanwells in series and it works fantastic. You can fine tune them to precisely the output you want. I have some Solar grid tie-in diodes seperating them from each other and the pack as an additional safety measure. They have been very reliable.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    I use 2 Meanwells in series and it works fantastic. You can fine tune them to precisely the output you want. I have some Solar grid tie-in diodes seperating them from each other and the pack as an additional safety measure. They have been very reliable.
    Yep great solution. I used the HLG320-54A model on my bike as my daily charger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    ok, thanks guys!..at this point it really helps if you pound me with the basics (tho that might be annoying for you to go over the same info thats everywhere on Google), to make sure I'm not misunderstandingaresizing something/everything

...as sometimes I think I've got it, and then suddenly I'll have too many tabs open and my brain starts to collapse

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    That's what this forum is for! We don't mind, we wanna see more bikes out there

9. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook
    I picked up an AVC2 to control my J1772 charging. The J1772 is basically just a switched 220V AC input. If you want to be able to charge with a level 2 charging station (J1772), and at a regular 110 outlet, you will need a charger that can handle that wide range of input. Some chargers can handle 85-240v input (my ELCON 1500w), others will only do either 110v or 220v, but not both. If you want to do both, make sure you get an appropriate charging solution.

I found a J1772 inlet online for about $55 USD (not the fancy aluminum one)

I think one of the best reasons to include J1772 charging is primo parking at EV charging stations!
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Meanwells can do both by adding or removing the jumper that comes with them. Maybe a little bit of a hassle, but easily switched.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast