Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2

Thread: electric power not wanted here

Post Thanks / Like

electric power not wanted here

These racing organizers have banned electric MX racers because they don't understand them and think they might have an unfair advantage on the track (or what?).
    http://racerxonline.com/2018/03/29/m...-loretta-lynns
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    ..might have an unfair advantage on the track...
    I think they do have an advantage
    ...thats why I like them

but for ElectroCross racing heats, seems like an elmoto is perfect...likely if they raced more often and equally with ICE, you would see a shift in the teams happening just for other advantages besides performance

no, I'm not trying to save the planet or anything green...I see that as just a great side effect and changing of the times
    ...and can't wait for the day when I don't have to listen to two strokes out in the woods(and I own two-stroke boats and bikes myself) or smell them

...I think I was reading here or somewhere about a road race team switching to an electric bike...and had all their pit crew there all ready, but they just had to stand around with their hands in their pockets watching the bike charge...nothing to do(I'm sure there was some stuff, but just saying)

racing is expensive...aren't EVs cheaper for teams to run? or not yet

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Personally, I've always loved the smell of castor bean smoke in the morning!
    I think the gassers are getting a little bit nervous! Have you noticed a resurgence in 2 stroke technology? That's the industry preparing to battle it out with electrics. A 2 stroke is way more efficient than a 4 stroke , less moving parts, less weight, simplicity...
    Ya... things are gonna get exciting!

Oh I'd love to see a small Wankel rotary in a dirtbike. Can be easily converted to burn liquid H... or whatever new liquid fuel that gets developed.
    Last edited by Stevo; 3 Weeks Ago at 1006.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

Post Thanks / Like
    Lots more discussion about allowing electric motorcycles, such as Alta, into motocross racing in this article. It appears that MX Sports is just afraid that they don't understand electric motorcycles and are concerned that they might obtain an unfair advantage if they are allowed to race. It sounds to me like they believe that if the race organization doesn't allow electrics to race, they will just go away and they won't have to think about it any more. https://www.revzilla.com/common-trea...teur-motocross
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    DUH! All they need to do is create a new class.... Like they did back in the day when 4 strokes were the oddity and the sport was dominated by 2 strokes.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

6. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Race organizations are often associations of manufacturers. Honda/Kawi/Yamaha/KTM etc. don't want to lose races to electric bikes until they have something to sell in that space. If Alta (or other electric) starts winning and proving that electric is the way forward, the major manufacturers suddenly stop being able to sell their ICE dirt bikes.

As always, follow the money...

8. Likes Richard230 liked this post