Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: are electric twist throttles crap?

Post Thanks / Like
    Come to think about it... The Energica has a really sweet regen setup. Lemmee see, hold on.

Yeah, here it is: https://evmc2.wordpress.com/2014/07/...e-bike-review/ About halfway down the page there's the Domino. They integrate it, along with the microswitch it has built in, with their VCU (Vehicle Control Unit), and it gives you an amazing throttle/regen braking feel. You can read all about it on the linked review.

So yeah, a "crap" throttle on a $38K bike that felt like the Energica felt? Not so much.

Yes, I said I'm done, but in case anyone who really wanted to read a decent discussion about throttles stumbled on this, I figured I could just toss and run. Actually, just really enjoyed going back and reading that review and watching the video. That was a great day.
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 04 April 2018 at 1535.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    hard for me to get excited about a throttle. I'm not above tying a piece of string to my thumb for a throttle though.

Post Thanks / Like
    "...string..."

I'd pay money to see that on a 150mph 0-60-in-4sec 500lb motorcycle.

Not for nothin' (as they say up here in Boston), do you, have you, do you have any intention of actually building something, or is this just all keyboard jockeying? Not trying to be a dick, but this forum used to be populated by builders and designers. It's been a while, and just trying to gauge the audience here, that's all.
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spaceweasel View Post
    To answer a glossed-over question: You can change out the grips on both the Magura and Domino throttles. The Magura becomes much more pleasant with new rubber, but the Domino is pretty good as is. Both allow you to cut through the end piece and mount bar end mirrors or hand guards just like any other throttle. Ted's review is spot on.
    Agree completely with this post. Love the domino. It has a shorter stroke than the Magura which makes it nicer to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

5. Likes frodus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    "(who LITERALLY wrote the book on elecrtic motorcycles) "

Credit where due - a whole lot of that was possible through the blood, sweat and tears of members of this very forum over many years.

www.powerinflux.com

7. Likes frodus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    ok, thanks for the posts guys

I guess I really should have titled this thread:
    "How Does the only Good eThrottle(the Domino) Feel Compared to a standard Cable Pull Motorcycle Twist Throttle"

...anyone like to comment on that?
    Last edited by T Rush; 06 April 2018 at 0545. Reason: added the word "feel"

Post Thanks / Like
    Sure.

The Domino is every bit as robust as a standard cable throttle. It has a much lighter and more responsive feel, and has a relatively short throw which makes it ideally suited to an electric motorcycle.

A cable throttle/pot box is more complicated, with more moving parts to maintain and lubricate. It introduces more points of potential failure. It takes up more space, and is far less resistant to water (the potbox in particular) considering the Domino is sealed. It requires one more cable to route, along with the control cable from the potbox, and the cable from the throttle is far less flexible (harder to route) than an electric cable. It's less responsive. A cable throttle, at $60-125 with a potbox ($120 or so?) is far more expensive that a Domino ($90).

There is honestly no good reason for running a traditional throttle with a pot box that I can see, other than if you happen to have the parts lying around already.
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 06 April 2018 at 0534.
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dillard View Post
    It has a much lighter and more responsive feel
    ok, thanks....thats the info I was looking for

sorry, I should have been more clear about what I was asking
    Last edited by T Rush; 06 April 2018 at 0547. Reason: edited my post above to better define my question if anyone else replies

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    I think the Magura feels cheep, and it's not very springy, and the throw is way to long. I never tried domino, but it sounds shorter throw and better feel.

My conversion used a potbox, to keep the outside of the bike looking stock, and to reuse as much as I could. Plus, I found one used for $25 (that had a lot to do with my budget build).

Brammo used a really nice throttle from a BMW that was drive by wire (I was told by Brian Wismann). I loved it. Not sure the part number, it wasn't on the outside of the throttle that I could see. It would be worth looking into bikes with drive by wire.
    Last edited by frodus; 06 April 2018 at 0731.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by T Rush View Post
    ok, thanks....thats the info I was looking for

sorry, I should have been more clear about what I was asking
    Yeah, wouldn't have got that at all from the OP or the title.
    www.powerinflux.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12