Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Belt Sander Racing: A Sander Named Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Belt Sander Racing: A Sander Named Bruce

It occurred to me I hadn't posted anything here about Bruce, the Belt Sander, during my ElMoto hiatus. Well, here you go.

The rules of competition belt sander racing are fairly simple. In the Unlimited class, for the New England Belt Sander Racing Association, you need to have the sander plugged in to the cord that controls the start - you can see that in the video of the actual race - and it needs to be propelled by a commercially available abrasive product. That's it.

I took it to a slightly different place than most. There's a whole lot of friction on a normal belt sander drive, so I ran dragster-like wheels. You're limited to whatever power the extension cord can deliver, so I took a page from the DeWalt/A123 team (the benefits of living in Boston) and ran a Turnigy pack I had savaged on another project, and simply used the extension cord to throw a contactor (stepped down from 110VAC to 24VDC). That gave me as much power as the pack could dump, with no limitations of the AC cord. I ran one of my Briggs ETEK motors.

I also built the frame using those small BernzoMatic brazing torches you can find at Home Depot, which worked swell.

Here's the first spin-up:

I put a more complete video together here:

If you want to read the build thread, such as it is, here it is: https://evmc2.wordpress.com/?s=belt+...&submit=Search
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 10 April 2018 at 0524.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

2. Likes Spaceweasel liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I take it that you are snowed-in this week, Ted.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    I was driving to work today and saw an amazing huge pile of snow and freaked right the f**k out. Turned out it was a boat in one of those white shrink wrap condom things.

> breathe <
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    we got another inch or so over the weekend
    (here, I'll draw you a picture of what it was like)

* \_(ツ)_/*

yeah but anyway, looks like you got your sander to really hook up, tho its not much for looks(no bodywork, paint, stickers?)....was reading about it in the blog...and wondering: when the revs hit, you could see the tires 'grow' tall, just like they do in top-fuel, and wouldn't that want to pop the 60grit off?

Post Thanks / Like
    duplicate post
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 10 April 2018 at 1052.
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    As we used to say windsurfing, sheet in and sail ugly... no time to do bodywork lol. (Don't listen to him Bruce.)

Actually, I believe it was 24 grit. (correction, it was 36 grit). I seem to remember having to cut and glue them to fit the tires, too... And yes, that was a problem. I ended up using belts of fiberglass tape to try to keep the thing from exploding.
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 10 April 2018 at 1056.
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I would have totally gone Rat Fink on that bad boy...but made it look like a hand-sander, Big Daddy Roth stylized

Post Thanks / Like
    What I am looking forward to watching is electric chain saw racing.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard230 View Post
    What I am looking forward to watching is electric chain saw racing.
    It's been done:
    CHNHUE.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by T Rush View Post
    I would have totally gone Rat Fink on that bad boy...but made it look like a hand-sander, Big Daddy Roth stylized
    10675596_299739596900605_8564385165421115977_n.jpg
    You'd need to enter the "Stock" class with that. And who can compete with The King?"

Forgot about this story I wrote for InsideEVs: https://insideevs.com/day-belt-sander-races-wvideo/
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 11 April 2018 at 0321.
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Chain saw racing looks like it could be tough on the track.