Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  51
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: The Juiced Drag bike progress post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by EVcycle View Post
    After of week of analyzing the first test and Tune here are the final evaluation and results.

I think Travis's programming was close to being spot on which is impressive considering this combo has not been used in this configuration.
    (That I am aware of.)

The times seemed low compared to what I was expecting, but in reality were pretty good compared to our previous EV conversions.

The issues (or perceived issues) were:

Not enough amps from the batteries.
    We were using our Cycle analyst to give highest amps and voltage drop. It showed only a max of 255 amps,
    We were moving along well, but only 250amps? This turned out to be a programming error (Default) with the Shunt. Once that was corrected we now showed a correct 510 amps.

Not the expected voltage drop with 510 amps.
    We were only dropping 3 volts (66 to 63) on a nominal pack of 60 volts. We were running 2 - 66V Chevy volt Gen 2 batteries in parallel.
    This combo should give us plenty of amps for the torque needed for drag racing.
    Either something is holding it back or these are REALLY good batteries.
    Turns out that these are REALLY good batteries. I pulled one of the batteries out (52 pounds off the bike) and it ran better and still only dropped to 60.5 Volts.

Only getting up to 3400 RPM (6000 Redline) at the end of the run..... DUH.. a 3.8:1 gear was not going to cut it. We put in stock gears for testing as I did not want to spend
    big bucks on aluminum gears just to find out we were way off. New gearing coming today to give me 4.4:1 and 4.9:1.

Funny smell and the bike getting a little bit slower each run.
    Every EV Drag bike we have run stays very consistent with the exception of the first pass to get the batteries "woken up" .
    Turns out the front brake pads were a bit too thick and were rubbing the disk. At first it was not noticed, but as the night went on they
    seated and started to grip more and more. After removal of the caliper, a mechanical adjustment and all is good. Much easier to push around too
    wonder if the new gearing will just smoke the tire loose at the line?
    (heck but then I dont know much about drag race'n)

I'd love to see more torque and hp curves of eMotors.....any chance you will dyno tune this bike? or is it all seat-of-the-pants?
    (and who is/was this guy with the dyno for eBike tuning? https://www.youtube.com/user/garbizwal/videos )
    Last edited by T Rush; 05 July 2018 at 2041. Reason: I usually don't quote a whole post in my reply if its the very next post, but carried the OP's nice post over to a new page

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by T Rush View Post
    wonder if the new gearing will just smoke the tire loose at the line?
    (heck but then I dont know much about drag race'n)

I'd love to see more torque and hp curves of eMotors.....any chance you will dyno tune this bike? or is it all seat-of-the-pants?
    (and who is/was this guy with the dyno for eBike tuning? https://www.youtube.com/user/garbizwal/videos )
    This has a 7.8" slick so it is doubtful it will break loose,,, other than the burnout before the run.

This is all a.... educated....seat of our pants project.
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Juiced Drag Racing
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630

Post Thanks / Like
    Finally made it to our second test session of the motorcycle. Made significant gains and we are now
    knocking on the door of the 8 Second range in the Eighth Mile. Perfect for a bracket racing bike!
    The motorcycle ran flawlessly with turn around times of 20 minutes. Still need gear change or two
    ( maxed at 4500 rpm) and still only running 67 volts. So I expect even more speed over the next month or two.
    Second test 2a.jpg
    Starting the burnout. The wheelie bar is not really needed, but it makes a good mount for the GoPro.
    Second test 3 a.jpg
    Finally painted the fender with the body to follow.... we were going to wrap it but the folks here locally
    looked a bit "Befuddled" with all the curves on the body...
    Second test 1A.jpg
    Racing a "Busa" He whipped my ....ummmm well you know.
    Last edited by EVcycle; 16 July 2018 at 1633. Reason: Grammer
    EV Ed
    Juiced Drag Racing
    Motenergy.com

4. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Latest update.

We are upgrading the battery pack to 117V. This will add 42 pounds (9% total increase), but increase the HP by 40%.

Change the gear ratio from 4.4 to 4.9.
    Changed to a Thumb throttle.
    Should get us to the Mid 8 second range (1/8 mile).

Painting on the body and fender has started!!

Last edited by EVcycle; 22 July 2018 at 1632.
    EV Ed
    Juiced Drag Racing
    Motenergy.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I just came in from a couple of short passes on our road/ cul de sac at 117V.

All I can say is that I am glad I threw on my helmet....WOOF.

Acceleration was "off the hook?" The first time I could not keep the rear tire from
    "squealing like a little pig" all the way down the road. (and it is a racing slick)

The track will give us a better look at things.

Fun Stuff!!!
    Last edited by EVcycle; 25 July 2018 at 1420.
    EV Ed
    Juiced Drag Racing
    Motenergy.com

7. Likes Nicman, Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes! So happy you are running full voltage now. That was my first thought when I saw the voltage level you were at.

A Sevcon size6 turned up on a light motorcycle is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Whats under my tank may shock you!!! R6 Build, Blog/, [/URL] OSU Current webpage

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuts & Volts View Post
    Yes! So happy you are running full voltage now. That was my first thought when I saw the voltage level you were at.

A Sevcon size6 turned up on a light motorcycle is awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks, we needed to test the combination and build first...then go fast!
    EV Ed
    Juiced Drag Racing
    Motenergy.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The latest update,

Upgraded all power wire to 1/0.

No testing since all it wants to do is rain. (thunderstorms) Mother nature is being a....Muther.

Thats it, thats all I got.

More later!!!

Crazy Ed
    Last edited by EVcycle; 28 July 2018 at 1629.
    EV Ed
    Juiced Drag Racing
    Motenergy.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Muther Nature got us again!

We loaded the "new" van with the bike, and all the race gear, drove two hours to the "good" track,
    unloaded, setup the generator and chargers, took the bike to the inspector, (all he wanted to do was
    ask questions about the electric bike) returned to top off the charge and got out the rest of the racing gear.

We sat around in the heat for another 1 1/2 hours.
    5 minutes before the track opened the staging lanes a rumble in the background paused the track prep.

One of the officials stopped by to let us know it was going to rain within the next 20 min. We scrambled
    and got everything back just in time to beat the storm.

A hour later they shut down for the evening. It was a 20% chance of rain today....

We will try again on Sunday and the "OK" track.
    Last edited by EVcycle; 17 August 2018 at 1842.
    EV Ed
    Juiced Drag Racing
    Motenergy.com

Post Thanks / Like
    A rainout Double header. The track having timing issues (hey, poo poo happens) did not help as things were delayed several hours..

No one got to play.

We are collecting a load of rain check tickets! We may not have to pay to race the rest of the year..
    EV Ed
    Juiced Drag Racing
    Motenergy.com

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast