Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: ELECTRIC NOS BOOST

Post Thanks / Like

ELECTRIC NOS BOOST

Hello everyone,
    My name is john. I am from montreal, canada. I need a question answered concerning an idea i have concerning ev power.
    Would it be feasable to power an electric motor solely with super capacitors to provide a say... 30kw boost to a motorcycle?? Power would be on or off, like a hit of nitrous. The power would not need to last more than 5-10 seconds. I know capacitors recharge relatively quickly so the motor can do regen on off throttle mode. This would also help stop the motorcycle.
    Do you guys think this idea is sensible, or perhaps know if anyone has invented such a system?
    Im no electrical wiz, i just think it would be a cool way to boost a conventional motorcycle.
    My email is: jp1234554321@gmail.com
    Feel free to contact me directly if you like. Thanks for taking the time to read this. -JOHN

Post Thanks / Like
    This is kind of a common question, and I went through some posts here to try to find a good thread about it, but came up empty. Anyway, the short answer is it's not really worth it. The general conclusion is it's better just to put the space, money and effort into a nice high-discharge pack. A few years ago that was what we fondly refer to as RC lipo, but now there are several chemistries that can deliver the power.

That said, nobody I remember hearing about has actually done it. (...as my son would say, "is that a challenge?" lol)

(edit: Found this on ES: https://endless-sphere.com/forums/vi...lit=capacitors)
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 4 Weeks Ago at 0309.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know about capacitors, but if you find something interesting about, please share! Here a link about crasy ass battery 200C... for drag racing ;P

http://www.ampahaulic.com/
    Last edited by AdventureQc; 4 Weeks Ago at 1758.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yeah, that's John Metric. Knows his stuff. I'm pretty sure Dice is running his packs in Electracutioner.

https://evmc2.wordpress.com/2013/10/...ectrocutioner/
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I did a feasibility sheet on this for another lad asking the same question on here a good while back - as above, not a runner even for 1/4mile sort of energy stores. Way too big.
    Even as ballast to boost a decent battery pack you'd still be pressed for volume on the amounts you need at any reasonable power levels.

6. Likes Spaceweasel liked this post