Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from Ohio

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Greetings from Ohio

Please be gentle to the new person from the Buckeye State!

I am stopping in to figure out my direction for a new electric vehicle. I was looking into maxi-scoot style EVs. Unfortunately I see little out there of this type. The alternative is to convert the maxi-scoot I already have. Not an easy task for someone with little mechanical aptitude and space to consider. Still it is always good to learn even if I never do it, right?

On to a few serious questions though. I currently own an older Yamaha Morphous 250CC with CVT drive. Looking at the parts breakdown (on partsfish/etc) it appears the rear arm is partially secured and braced by the motor. So obviously a frame sub-assembly will need to be installed. Then there is the issue with the CVT drive itself. The easiest route would be to place a motor in the new sub-frame and connect it to the CVT drive. However that seems foolish as it adds moving parts and weight. So how are hub motors typically secured to an abandoned rear CVT assembly? Take it to a shop and get a custom filler plate welded in? Or do people just replace the entire rear arm assembly? The good news is that if I go though with the it Morphous offers a LOT of space to work in! Engine bay, helmet storage right above AND a rear trunk.

Thanks for any comments.

Post Thanks / Like
    Before you go to all the hassle, see if you can track down a Vectrix VX-1.
    Battery will most likely be shot unless it's already been refit - but the latter task would be the job you'd be aiming to carry out if you can nab one.
    Save you a WHOOOLE lot of heartache, and they're a crackin' machine!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    Before you go to all the hassle, see if you can track down a Vectrix VX-1.
    Thank you for the recommendation. A quick look shows nothing even remotely close to me unfortunately. However I did run across the Zev. It's not THAT far to go see one (only 300miles). Anyone have experience with them? The past financial shenanigans of the founder do make me slightly hesitant to trust the company.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    I'd do research. There are varied opinions on ZEV and the owner.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Welcome. I'm also new to this, and in the Columbus area. I'm project planning at the moment. My plan is to build packs from 18650 cells that I'm harvesting from medical packs. I'm in the research stage, looking at BMS options at the moment, and still trying to decide on if I want to convert my nicely running ICE bike, or if I'm going to pick up a donor frame to build on. A scooter build is appealing as well. Can't wait to hear more about your project. Alex

Post Thanks / Like
    Mega jealous at the easy access to 18650 cells - they pack a mean punch.
    Lot of work putting them together, and you'll have to keep a good mind to heat shedding, but absolutely the most energy and power dense way to go right now.

8. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spoonman View Post
    Mega jealous at the easy access to 18650 cells - they pack a mean punch.
    Lot of work putting them together, and you'll have to keep a good mind to heat shedding, but absolutely the most energy and power dense way to go right now.
    I can't wrap my head around the thought of monitoring and balancing all of those little flashlight batteries wired in parallel. I think THAT is a the most difficult part to using 18650's, IMHO.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll chime in here with a opinion real quick.

1. Building your own is great, but if you can find what you want already done (or ready for a rework), you'd spend a lot fewer hours driving to get it than you would building your own, even if it is across the country! If there are any Vectrix scooters to be found anywhere, it'd be a lot simpler and quicker than a DIY job! Now, if DIY is more fun for you, then go for it.

2. ZEV. I met the owner and got to see some of his scooters a few years back at the Vetter Challenge. He makes some stupendous claims about his products that aren't true. Doesn't mean they don't work, and really, if they work half as well as claimed, that's still decent- but his claims are just so outrageous that they defy possibility. Both scooters he brought failed to finish the course, and I personally measured the input power to his chargers as part of the competition, and the power factorwas garbage, like .64 or something. His products are in inexpensive imported stuff. Again, they may work great- but know that you need to apply Chinese Manufacturer Derating (-50%) to any performance claims.

11. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by nedfunnell View Post
    2. ZEV. I met the owner and got to see some of his scooters a few years back at the Vetter Challenge. He makes some stupendous claims about his products that aren't true. Doesn't mean they don't work, and really, if they work half as well as claimed, that's still decent- but his claims are just so outrageous that they defy possibility. Both scooters he brought failed to finish the course, and I personally measured the input power to his chargers as part of the competition, and the power factorwas garbage, like .64 or something. His products are in inexpensive imported stuff. Again, they may work great- but know that you need to apply Chinese Manufacturer Derating (-50%) to any performance claims.
    Thanks SO MUCH for validating what I've been saying all along. At one point I wanted to meet the guy, just to see if he was as full of crap as I'd come to the conclusion he was, but to go to see him from Boston just to prove a point seemed a waste of time. The horse has been beat to death, but you're the first person who's posted who has actually met the guy.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast