Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Need Advice

Post Thanks / Like

Need Advice

Hello everyone, Have any of you experienced having a helmet that fogs up while driving at a cold weather? What do you do to stop your helmet from fogging because I'm having the same problem with my helmet. I hope you can give me some insight about this. Thanks!

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I used to ride through the winter. I was never able to completely eliminate fogging but I had limited success with using some form of breath deflector. In the winter that was usually my scarf that I wrapped around my mouth and nose, then down around my neck and into my jacket. Not sure how effective that will be with a full-face helmet though.

Post Thanks / Like
    I have that problem all the time during cold, wet, or foggy weather. There are lots of anti-fog chemicals on the market that will help some. But they do need to be reapplied before each ride. I also have one helmet with the Pin-Lock face shield system. But that requires a helmet face shield that comes with the pins that the Pin-Lock attaches to, which typically is on the more expensive helmet brands. Plus replacement Pin-Lock inserts are not cheap!

Since I have been dealing with this problem for 55 years now, I continue to try different solutions. Just about any of these solutions, including a breath deflector, works to a certain extent, but what works the best for me is to crack the face shield slightly and put up with a cold breeze on the face - which can be mitigated with a scarf, or something similar. Of course, once finding a solution to defogging the face shield, if you wear glasses you end up having to keep them from fogging.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    This may not work for you, but I have a motocross-style helmet- it's full face but I have to wear goggles. I have not had issues with fogging even at cold temps but I haven't ridden all winter (yet). What about a reusable dusk mask like people wear in Asia? If it forms a good seal that might work.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just buy a full face lid with a pin-lock visor and be done with it. Only way to go, no more fogging regardless what the weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    maybe try applying hydrophillic coating on the inside of the visor? fog occurs when tiny beads of water form on a hydrophobic surface. with a hydrophilic surface, the water coat the visor evenly in a film, instead of droplets (ie. no fog)

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectastic View Post
    maybe try applying hydrophillic coating on the inside of the visor? fog occurs when tiny beads of water form on a hydrophobic surface. with a hydrophilic surface, the water coat the visor evenly in a film, instead of droplets (ie. no fog)
    That stuff is a useless waste of $$$$ in my experience. Helmets are so expensive these days, they should have solar powered ventilation.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Always had this issue, think the only way i found was good cleaning and good ventilation. Downside was having a cold face.
    Could always try using a snorkel?