Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Hi from Wales, UK

Post Thanks / Like

Hi from Wales, UK

'ning all.

I'm planning to convert my 2007 Suzuki DL650 V-strom, or perhaps get another donor, in the near future. Thank you all for making such useful information available on-line, this makes many things much easier!

Matt

Post Thanks / Like
    hello

I've got a badge that says 'Cymru am byth' on one of my bikes!

...my family lines are Welsh, but I've never been to Wales...always wondered if I would feel at home there

Post Thanks / Like
    I've considered the Suzi v-twin chassis in the past - they're very narrow between the spars though (even the TL's) which limits your options for battery configuration.
    That being said, the DL is tall enough that you could potentially make the stack long enough for that not to matter so it might actually work pretty well...

Good luck with it and keep us posted!

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I was thinking a Honda 650 hawk would be a great candidate too, except for the narrow frame. I think a VFR with detachable hard side panniers would be a great choice.

I met some blokes from Wales in France back in 2002 at the Motocross SideCar Championships near Nice. We slammed back quite a few pints!!

Welcome and have fun with your build... post pics and a build specific thread when you get the project off the ground!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the welcome :-)

Yes, the Suzuki is narrow inside the frame, but there's plenty of volume there. A decent rear subframe too, so a few cells could go back there, worst case. I've pretty much assumed that I won't be able to go with a single neat stack, but I don't suppose that'll be an actual problem, just a bit more cabling and mountings to work out.