Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Electric Race Kart build

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Second Motor mount (from kartmasters) does not fit the ME1507. Working on a solution with Kartmasters directly.

150 of the Saft cells (about 22.5kWh) shipped this week.

Got the chain put on the ME1304 to the rear axle last night. Started doing some Cardboard Aided design of battery space to see where I can fit batteries easily without having to really weld. I want to see if I can use some tube clamps for Karts, to mount battery boxes. Hoping to make the boxes out of some plastic (HDPE or Lexan/Plexi) by a friend on their CNC Router. I might switch to having some boxes made out of metal locally too.

Pics of batteries on the pallet:
    20180625_155249.jpg
    Last edited by frodus; 25 July 2018 at 0748.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow HotrodLambretta On Twitter Add HotrodLambretta on Facebook
    Visit HotrodLambretta's Youtube Channel Visit HotrodLambretta's Vimeo Channel
    Would love to see the cardboard you have made to check fitment.

-Jason

Post Thanks / Like
    Will you run any tests on the Saft VL41 when you get them to see how they compare to cells like the Headway/Leaf etc?

I noticed that the medium power VL41M data sheet I downloaded a couple of days ago is dated March 2005, you might want to check if the specs have changed in the last 13+ years.

cheers,
    Michael
    Last edited by Michael Moore; 01 July 2018 at 1348. Reason: Had a typo on the model name of the battery

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    I don't have a discharger anymore, so doubtful it'll be much more than some tests with the controller/motor. I can only really measure Internal Resistance.

I got these batteries not because they're the best, they aren't, there's better out there. I got them because they were about $12.50 a cell shipped and a decent form-factor from a very reputable manufacturer Saft. They cost about $83/kWh. Leaf cells are like $230+ per kWh from online retailers?

Specs haven't changed, but I heard they're gonna make these batteries a while (they have to), as they're in jets, planes and military ground vehicles. The power and energy density are actually not too bad.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sometimes better is the enemy of good enough. Being told "sorry, we don't make those any more" when you need a couple of replacements if there's a smoke accident could be annoying.

Hybrid Autocenter lists a "Vectrix Lithium Conversion 9kWh Battery Pack 136V/60Ah $2,295.00 each" from Leaf modules. Shouldn't that be 8.1 kWh and not 9? Even at 9 that is $255/kWh, at 8.1 it is $283. $83 sounds attractive, and low enough that another parallel pack might be added if needed and still stay under the price of Leaf modules.

I'll be very interested to hear what your conclusions on them are.

cheers,
    Michael

6. Likes frodus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW, it appears the Saft VL41M is used to power an electric-assist sailplane:

https://www.lange-aviation.com/en/pr...3et/antrieb-e/

8. Likes frodus, Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Agreed, They may not be easy to get. This is why I bought the amount I did. I can only fit 32-36 in the kart. 32 are for a friend. The rest is spare/DIY Powerwall

I saw that they were used in a plane. They're pretty good quality and reliable. I think they'll fit my application well.

10. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Travis, I have some 1/4" Al plate left over from my build.... if you want to send me a cardboard template I can whip one out for you pronto. I can even skin it with faux carbon fiber in black or red if you want!
    Last edited by Stevo; 01 July 2018 at 1010.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    That's awesome of you. I am going to take you up on it. Let me get something sketched in the next week or so and I can email it to you. Just print and cut. I need to get a drill press soon, lots of bussbar to drill soon!

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    It's made for motors with different hole centers.

They said they'd work on it last week and let me know.
    Last edited by frodus; 25 July 2018 at 0749.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast