Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  17
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Electric Race Kart build

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    Stevo,
    I'm using the The Manzanita Micro charger t charge. It can be lower or higher than the pack I'm charging. It boosts the voltage and then regulates it. You can't just connect packs together without some sort of power controller in between.
    I didn't think so... I'm still trying to learn how to integrate solar panels with different battery packs. I have 4 deep cell Pb acid batts to make one battery bank with, and then the retired Nissan Leaf bank to make another one. I was going to make the Pb acid bank a separate 12 volt system, and keep the Nissan bank a separate high 110 volt system. I'm researching different solar converters/chargers now. I have a lot to learn still on how to tie it all together. Sorry for taking your thread off topic!!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    It's OK, lets start a DIY Powerwall discussion, that's basically what it is you're trying to do, right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Good idea. Ya, except with multiple power wall banks. Have to keep them isolated. I'll be contacting you soon about setting up the Sevcon. My battbox is 1/2 done.
    Last edited by Stevo; 14 August 2018 at 0814.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    This dropped off a while while I was waiting for some mechanical parts from a company in Latvia. I've been working with them a little on their Race Kart, and they make a really nice bolt-on kit for several kart manufacturers. I'm hoping to bring them into the states to start selling as well. We'll see how this progresses, I might start selling bolt-on kits, including batteries.

I decided that I'm going to put some time and money into this kart. I might be upgrading the chassis, the motor might start with an ME1616, water cooled plate for the Sevcon, and some new custom electrical I'm developing with a couple companies.

Item 1) We're testing a bluetooth to CAN dongle that can talk to Sevcon and the Zeva BMS. That will allow users of Torque to make their own dashboard. More info here
    Item 2) I'm working with a local company to make a 5" touchscreen LCD, IP67 sealed, CNC aluminum case that can connect over CAN to the Sevcon and Zeva BMS. We'll do a couple of skins, but it'll be plug and play with our Sevcon motor controller files for the me1507, me1616 and me1304 motors. More information coming soon.

Some pics:
    Motor mount
    38036996_2018751604822230_7510581479127121920_n.jpg

Battery bracket for the battery packs
    44231987_1223588997780522_2450790424512561152_n.jpg

A picture of the Blueshockrace kart, assembled
    Blue_Shock_Race_-_worlds_fastest_electric_sports_kart.jpg
    Last edited by frodus; 3 Weeks Ago at 1155.

5. Likes Spoonman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That's the perfect direction you should head: Build and offer model specific kits that anyone can convert in their garages with the right skills and tools.
    VFR, GSXR, V-strom, R6 and R1, Hayabusa,.... Shit, I'd rather just buy a kit then do it all myself if the kit was complete with everything needed.

Nice Kart BTW....WE WANT VIDEO!!!!LOL!
    Last edited by Stevo; 3 Weeks Ago at 1201.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    I doubt I'll ever do a bolt-on kit for motorcycles. The electrical can be a kit, but brackets, battery box, etc, that's all going to be custom for just about every motorcycle build. One guy wants a VFR, another wants a Gixxer, it's too much $$$ to invest when it might only sell 1 or 2.

The thing about Karts, is they're pretty standard chassis dimensions and format. Things are made to be fairly standard. Motorcycles, not so much.

Here's a video of their kart:

8. Likes Stevo, Spoonman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Frodus, can you offer any feedback on those Saft cells for EV use? Are you satisfied with the purchase? Thinking I might go the same way, they make a lot of sense

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    They're made for EV's. Used in formula cars and a handful of others. They're fine, i may be going a different direction though... not cause they're bad, but because I need something repeatable.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345