Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help choosing a motor

Post Thanks / Like

Help choosing a motor

Hi there,
    I've already converted a bicycle with a 1000w hub motor and that goes great but I'm having trouble deciding what motor to use for my motorcycle conversion.

Basically I'm after a motor that would be able to move about 450kg dry, before stripping of engine and the gubbins and be able to go at least 80mph. I'm not too concerned about the dimensions, there sould be a lot of room. Any help would be appreciated.

Im not necessarily after a specific motor but the specs would be great, or at least some help in figuring that bit out myself which would be nice too

Much thanks from Wales UK

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Do you want crazy acceleration? or something decent enough to go in and out of traffic safely?

How many volts are you thinking?

What motorcycle chassis?

Post Thanks / Like
    It would be for a cruiser not sure as to which one yet possible goldwing (lots of space) so not so much crazy acceleration just something that can maintain a constant speed.

From what I understand the voltage is in relation to how much power I want to get out of the motor so could be between 24 and 72 normally probably 52 or 72 I'm thinking.

If it helps any the original bike specs are:
    max power at rear wheel - 83.9hp @ 7250rpm
    max torque - 77.4 lb-ft @ 5500 rpm
    top speed - 151 mph
    CORRECTION dry weight - 330kg

im looking for like for like a top speed of 80ish is fine
    Last edited by DrunkenRainbows; 3 Weeks Ago at 1616.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Something like an AC15 or AC20 from HPEVS or a Sevcon with Motenergy 1507 would be pretty good. If you have room, there's an ME1616.

What is the overall budget?

Post Thanks / Like
    i have a sv650, with similar specs that you describe, and i'm looking for a similar conversion. While I haven't done a whole lot of digging, it appears that me1003 and ac20 are two popular options among diy-ers. me1003 is good bang for the buck, but it lacks top end, and power drops off drastically past 50 mph. ac20 has good torque (high 60s low 70s for a 72V 550A system), but its top end might be around 100 mph, with a ~45 hp top end. but the torque is instantaneous, and you'll get good acceleration for normal riding. kind of expensive though..

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Controller, harness and Controller programmed for an ME1507/Sevcon Gen4 would run right around $2200 plus shipping. I think the AC20 runs between $2700 and $3500 depending on the controller you get.

For this power level, there's not really any motor and controller packages that will easily fit on a bike, in the sub-$3500 budget.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can sell you a ME1003 and AXE7245 controller for $1000 but it wont get you to 80 mph.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

8. Likes frodus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why not? I have that combo right now and with 17T front and 65T Rear I max at 80mph. 2008 ninja 250r. I'm a big boy at 240 lbs and I think the bike is about 350lbs. been meaning to finally weight it.

Post Thanks / Like
    my pick for controller is something like this.
    http://www.evwest.com/catalog/produc...products_id=48

twice the price of some great controllers, but this gives you the ability to upgrade motors and pack voltages if you ever upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicman View Post
    my pick for controller is something like this.
    http://www.evwest.com/catalog/produc...products_id=48

twice the price of some great controllers, but this gives you the ability to upgrade motors and pack voltages if you ever upgrade.
    They're not really supported anymore, is the issue. EVWest likely bought a bunch and is supporting them, and they're a super company to work with. Just saying that Soliton is no more.

Also, they're for brushed motors, which is fine. Lots of power though, these things are built tough.
    Last edited by frodus; 3 Weeks Ago at 1014.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast