Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help choosing a motor

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenRainbows View Post
    be able to move about 450kg dry. be able to go at least 80mph
    Um, I'm no science geek but the shear physics involved in moving that mass at that speed wouldn't be doable at any kind of sensible feasible budget.
    I've delayed my project because I thought the ME0913 or ME1115 wouldn't be powerful enough to get me any kind of decent acceleration to warrant the price of everything and effort involved.
    Not saying it can't be done.The more weight you're pulling at speed requires more current. More current, more expensive controllers, larger wiring and larger contactors as associated paraphernalia.

Perhaps you could use dual motor setup. It's up to you. It's only my two cents. Happy to stand corrected if I'm wrong.

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand motors in the way of using as generators but when it comes to what they can move and how fast i'm clueless.
    To be fair something that weight is probably a bit of a stretch considering the space constraints and probably wouldn't have a great distance on it either.
    Thanks for all the suggestions though, I've got them saved with the specs so when the time does come I can look again and see what's around. Maybe i'll start with a smaller scooter first.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicman View Post
    Why not? I have that combo right now and with 17T front and 65T Rear I max at 80mph. 2008 ninja 250r. I'm a big boy at 240 lbs and I think the bike is about 350lbs. been meaning to finally weight it.
    You have to "give" to get. I didn't want to give up too much acceleration and grunt at the bottom end. And I have space constraints on the sprocket sizes that I can use due to chain clearance past the swingarm pivot/frame. No biggie, I've moved on to bigger better badder!

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkenRainbows View Post
    I understand motors in the way of using as generators but when it comes to what they can move and how fast i'm clueless.
    To be fair something that weight is probably a bit of a stretch considering the space constraints and probably wouldn't have a great distance on it either.
    Thanks for all the suggestions though, I've got them saved with the specs so when the time does come I can look again and see what's around. Maybe i'll start with a smaller scooter first.
    I think most of us were clueless on our first builds... I know that I was. With each build you earn experience, which is priceless (actually quite expensive!) But a good education isn't cheap, Is it?

Personally, I've been at this for 7+ years and I've seen lots of changes as far as what technology is available for the DIY'er market. Things keep improving at a pretty rapid pace. I don't blame you for wanting to wait for prices to come down, because they will and have. Batteries as well as drive components. This stuff just keeps getting better. But by waiting, your putting off the experience of building. My 2 cents!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    You have to "give" to get. I didn't want to give up too much acceleration and grunt at the bottom end. And I have space constraints on the sprocket sizes that I can use due to chain clearance past the swingarm pivot/frame. No biggie, I've moved on to bigger better badder!
    You sure did. Bike looks great BTW. I looks so slim and lightweight, with a monster motor connected. this thing will be scary.

5. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Testing should commence relatively soon... scary fast is what I'm hoping for!! Getting the harness finished now and hopefully get the battbox welded up this weekend.
    It is very narrow for now, but the battbox will add girth to it unfortunately. I cant wait for the next gen of batteries to come our way... it will be ALL GOOD!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12