Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Thinking out loud - A hybrid hack

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking out loud - A hybrid hack

Though we'll be living in Canada, my wife is Filipino and we have a place in Palawan, Philippines.
    I own a Yamaha RS110f which used to carry all three of us (when my kid was little), but now we will need a sidecar to legally move all three of us arojnd the city.
    The bike is actually designed and geared to be a tractor for a trike/sidecar rig. It won't be fast but it's practical. Currently, it tops out at 70kmh and with a sidecar it should do 40-50, which is fine for around town.
    We have a second property on a dirt road, with a hill and I don't know if my little 110cc will be able to get sidecar up there on its own. So, I was thinking hybrid system to help it out.

Originally, I thought a hub motor on the sidecar would do it, but would the different torques be too much if an issue?

My next thought was creating a 2 wheel drive like on some Ural rigs. Chain drive is on the left side of the bike wheel. A electric motor could be connected to both wheels via drive shafts.

Third option would be dual hub motors with chain drive still on the bike wheel.

Batteries/controller in the side car. ICE on the twist throttle and a thumb throttle for electric, or vice versa for regen.

Use the elmoto for short distances and up the hill. Use ICE when needed. Maybe both if one is not enough.

As you probably can tell, I've no practical EV experience at this point. These are just ideas floating in my head.

I was thinking a 48v system. Would any of these options work?

What do y'all think?

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think it will turn easily if you put a motor on the sidehack wheel, but a 2 wheel drive on the main bike wheels might be interesting. You also don't want to put a brake on the side wheel.

Depending on what side of the bike the sidehack is on, is how you turn the rig, by accelerating or decelerating. In other words, if the sidecar is on the Rt hand side, when you give it gas, the bike wants to turn right, but if you hit your brakes or decelerate, the bike wants to turn left. The opposite if the sidecar is on the left hand side.
    Last edited by Stevo; 2 Days Ago at 1017.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

Post Thanks / Like
    I have to check on the Ural rig. Both the bike's rear wheel and the sidecar wheel have power. I'm not sure how that affects turning it. Maybe there is slip in the differential?

Post Thanks / Like
    https://youtu.be/Wd4Yav0_U5w

The Ural is a real pig under 2wd, but it's not designed to be engaged all the time, just when needed.

Can hub motors easily freewheel?

If so, then I could potentially set up the 2 hub system to run the 2nd hub only when needed.

Note: a sidecar for the Philippines would be on the right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ural recommends only using two-wheel drive on their hacks when riding on a loose surface such as dirt or gravel. Trying to use that drive system on pavement results in a vehicle that is almost impossible to turn. The Ural could really use a differential, but that would raise its price noticeably, give one more area of potential failure, something else to maintain and isn't really necessary on paved roads under most conditions.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    That's what I need. I need stability and a torque boost for my steep dirt road.