Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Haven't even finished the build, Should I upgrade the Power?

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook

Haven't even finished the build, Should I upgrade the Power?

SO, after 2 1/2 busy years, I am at the point in out house reno where I can relax a bit, and start thinking about shop space, and getting back to a "me" project. It's been a long time coming, but now I have time to sort out a space between now and the winter, and get organized to finish up the bike. My brother bought and electric VW GOlf, and loves it, and we have decided our next car will be an all electric too. I have told my wife that I will be finishing the bike over the winter, to save us gas money next summer!

My big problem now, is.. It's been so long since I bought the components, that I think I want to upgrade the power. Seems like if I am going to upgrade, I might as well do it before I get all of the motor and battery mounts fabbed up, so I don't have to do it twice. I have everything I need to get it on the road, ME1003, AXE7245, and 11 Gen 1 Leaf Modules. So I could get a decent bike together with what I have, but I feel like I might be ready for the next level pretty soon after I get it on the road.

I ride into town on my ICE 400 right now, its a bendy Hwy and there is always someone going slow, so I want to make sure I have passing power. I regularly hit 120kmh when passing 6 or 8 cars at one of the 2 straight stretches, I would like to have the get up and go to pass. BUT, Upgrading will cost some more $$$$, right now I have all the components, my only costs will be fabbing the mounts.

Do I get what I already have on the road, or do I upgrade now, before I do the build over the winter?

If I upgrade, what do I get? I was thinking I can keep the 11 leaf modules, and maybe add a few more (I have the space in the 600cc frame) and just upgrade the motor and controller. I would kind of like to keep it air cooled if possible, just to keep it simple.

What do you think?
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    After having my project linger for a long time, and switching motor/batteries/etc from brushed to AC induction, etc. I think you should get it on the road. Yes, you can always upgrade, but if you get it running, you'll have a lot of fun. The Alltrax ought to give you good power for a while. It's a 400CC bike, so should be comparable in power.

The ME1003 has the same bolt pattern as other Motenergy motors (149.2mm hole centers) like the ME1304/1302/1115/1114 motors that have very similar form factors. It'd be switching motor/controller out, maybe adding a few Leaf modules, and you can upgrade.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    what frodus said
    if you decide to upgrade to another me motor you only need to design your batery mount to fit upgrade too.
    Like that you be on the road soon and an upgrade will be easy..
    flo

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flo View Post
    Hi
    what frodus said
    if you decide to upgrade to another me motor you only need to design your batery mount to fit upgrade too.
    Like that you be on the road soon and an upgrade will be easy..
    flo
    The me 1616 is the same size ,(bolt pattern) as a me1003? It's so much bigger I thought. ?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    The BOLT pattern is the same. The ME1616 motor is quite a bit larger and heavier though. The diameter of the motor is larger.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Andrew, if you haven't already made your motor mount yet, just design in enough space to add a larger diameter motor. Same bolt pattern and hole cut out. But also check the bolt pattern in relation to the 3 phase wires if your frame rails are narrow. I had to pivot my motor so the bolt pattern changed position.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add furyphoto on Facebook
    Thanks for the focusing my direction everyone! I will move forward with the stuff I already have, but design motor and battery mounts with expansion in mind. I have to adjust the motor mount by less than 2 cm to make room for a 50kw motor in the future. I have space to leave room for a few extra leaf modules to get me to the gen4 size 6 max voltage too. I will check the max voltage I will be able to tweak my charger to as well, before I fab up the mounts.
    In the past year, I have only half rebuilt the brake calipers. I'm getting excited to get it going again!
    -Andrew

http://www.andrewdoran.com
    mail(at)andrewdoran.com

My ElMoto Project "Electric Hurricane" - 1987 Honda CBR600 F1: Check out my Build ALBUM
    My ICE Cafe Racer Project "My Precious" - 1983 Honda CM400 Classic

8. Likes Nicman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Good luck Andrew! I think you'll be happy you did this!