Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Your "OTHER" projects

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicman View Post
    This is the coolest idea ever. I want to know if STEAM is nation-wide or just in MA. I'm going to do some investigating because this is exactly what Jacksonville needs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Thanks! As far as I know, STEAM is pretty much nationwide, if not worldwide. The benefits are pretty well documented in the educational community, and applying it in a makerspace environment has been amazingly successful. One of our friends teaches 5th graders to build boats - simple plywood open kayaks. The kids who aren't into the building part can paint/decorate them. They then take them to a local pond (Jamaica Pond, if you know the Boston area) and teach them swimming, lifesaving and of course, boat handling. That one project fulfills something like 98% of the Common Core standards.

My favorite story is the teacher overheard one conversation - "why do you suck at math so bad, but you're really good at it here?" "I dunno, I just care about it here..."

...not my project, but my boat now:

36613344_10217257045917702_1822112275868155904_o.jpg

The cool thing about people who start makerspaces is they're pretty committed to helping people do stuff - like starting makerspaces! I got my financial projections and a lot of my structural stuff from online sources freely shared by other successful makerspaces. MAKE magazine, of course, has a huge resource. Feel free to DM me if you want some help, either here or on our Facebook page.

ALSO, I just remembered, one of the early members here on ElMoto, Tango, built his bike at a TechShop, one of the for-profit makerspaces in the SF area.
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 3 Weeks Ago at 1659.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    OH I forgot about the x-y easel. https://xyeasel.wordpress.com/

img_4023_1-copy.jpg

This is a computer-controlled easel that moves so I can photograph artwork. All the explain is on the site.

I had intentions of selling them, but a combination of having to deal with after-sales customer support, and the fact I was constantly upgrading the design, I kind of left it alone. Probably start it up again once the makerspace is rolling.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Holy $hit!
    Trav, you started a great thread here! It's making me wish I had more time on my hands.
    On the subject of artwork...
    7lb_7D0QJQmK3n8ssiTiio6Y26UTf8SemLDM36LtDc3pZLipj_9_I9hmZH3LxCqhBbmYsKg7z5xbRstk38yf0q4BJw3yib-O.jpg

This photograph was given to me by my parents. A neighbor of theirs was a retired National Geographic photographer.
    It's hard to see in my pic, but I installed 2 red LED's behind his eyes! Their neighbor loved it! I want to redo it when I have time using a bluetooth controlled relay to turn his eyes on with my phone. I'll use RGB LED's next time so I can turn his eyes on different colors!!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=4354

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Thanks Steve!

That's a cool pic. I bet the LED's make the picture pop a bit.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123