Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  26
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Your "OTHER" projects

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicman View Post
    This is the coolest idea ever. I want to know if STEAM is nation-wide or just in MA. I'm going to do some investigating because this is exactly what Jacksonville needs.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
    Thanks! As far as I know, STEAM is pretty much nationwide, if not worldwide. The benefits are pretty well documented in the educational community, and applying it in a makerspace environment has been amazingly successful. One of our friends teaches 5th graders to build boats - simple plywood open kayaks. The kids who aren't into the building part can paint/decorate them. They then take them to a local pond (Jamaica Pond, if you know the Boston area) and teach them swimming, lifesaving and of course, boat handling. That one project fulfills something like 98% of the Common Core standards.

My favorite story is the teacher overheard one conversation - "why do you suck at math so bad, but you're really good at it here?" "I dunno, I just care about it here..."

...not my project, but my boat now:

36613344_10217257045917702_1822112275868155904_o.jpg

The cool thing about people who start makerspaces is they're pretty committed to helping people do stuff - like starting makerspaces! I got my financial projections and a lot of my structural stuff from online sources freely shared by other successful makerspaces. MAKE magazine, of course, has a huge resource. Feel free to DM me if you want some help, either here or on our Facebook page.

ALSO, I just remembered, one of the early members here on ElMoto, Tango, built his bike at a TechShop, one of the for-profit makerspaces in the SF area.
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 26 July 2018 at 1659.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    OH I forgot about the x-y easel. https://xyeasel.wordpress.com/

img_4023_1-copy.jpg

This is a computer-controlled easel that moves so I can photograph artwork. All the explain is on the site.

I had intentions of selling them, but a combination of having to deal with after-sales customer support, and the fact I was constantly upgrading the design, I kind of left it alone. Probably start it up again once the makerspace is rolling.
    www.powerinflux.com

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Holy $hit!
    Trav, you started a great thread here! It's making me wish I had more time on my hands.
    On the subject of artwork...
    7lb_7D0QJQmK3n8ssiTiio6Y26UTf8SemLDM36LtDc3pZLipj_9_I9hmZH3LxCqhBbmYsKg7z5xbRstk38yf0q4BJw3yib-O.jpg

This photograph was given to me by my parents. A neighbor of theirs was a retired National Geographic photographer.
    It's hard to see in my pic, but I installed 2 red LED's behind his eyes! Their neighbor loved it! I want to redo it when I have time using a bluetooth controlled relay to turn his eyes on with my phone. I'll use RGB LED's next time so I can turn his eyes on different colors!!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Thanks Steve!

That's a cool pic. I bet the LED's make the picture pop a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    BUMP!
    Flo, do you have any video of the jet in action? I think we all want to see that beauty in flight! It would be cool to put a gopro in the cockpit!!

I finally got the time to work out some issues with my highly modified MinnKota Hobie Outback YakAttack kit!
    I spare no expense in silicone goop, unlike the factory's penny pinching cost cuttin...%$#%&*@
    These need to be waterproofed well, especially for use in saltwater. No water should be able to get down the shaft. I learned that the hard way!
    Cu corrodes fast, so all the terminals need to be protected as well.
    ya3.jpg
    ya1.jpg
    I learned babushka from the Russians and Kate Bush!! The Battbox inside the bigger box which straps into the cargo holder behind the pilot.
    It has a tethered kill switch. I cant tell you how many times I almost couldn't catch my 440 jetski back in the day. They were supposed to circle around you, which generally worked, but not in choppy water.
    ya2.jpg
    ya4.jpg
    And yes, the kit can be made to order!
    I'm wondering if I could use my old Alltrax Axe 4834 to run two of these trolling motors in parallel. I can build a "Twin Screw" YakAttack kit for the bigger Hobies!!
    Last edited by Stevo; 24 September 2018 at 0842.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here are some of my "other projects"

My first (2005-ish) electric project was a go kart. It used (1) 12V car battery & a V8 Chevy starter motor & fly wheel. http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=34016
    It only went a couple of blocks before the motor burned up.

I then kinda gave up on electric vehicles for a while. (the technology just wasn't there)

Back (~2008) I came across an electric mini-bike @ Northern Tools for ~$350.00. I thought, I can harvest the motor, controller, throttle thingy & even the battery pack & then sell the "new" frame for ~$100.00, so I would only have ~$250.00 into a complete electric propulsion system for a go kart. It was so kool I couldn't bring myself to dismantle it. (still got it even)

Then, (~2013) I found a (not running) electric scooter on craigslist for $30.00 & had no problem tearing into it. I designed & made a custom frame & used the motor, controller, throttle, wiring harness & even the front & rear wheels too, for my daughter Desteny.

Next, (~2014) I had to design & build another go kart for her twin brother Winston. I called the minibike manufacturer & told them that I wanted to buy a spare motor. They had an extra whole kit that they sold to me for $100.00.

Then, (~2015) I designed & built a dual motor kart called "Double Trouble"

& Then, (~2016) I mounted a 8kW motor on a Dingo go kart. (I didn't design the kart just the electrical/propulsion set up)

I got lots more, but I just got a call
    ...to be continued

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmmm.... that Dingo gives me some ideas

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Hmmmm.... that Dingo gives me some ideas
    Unless you set it up different, you will not be happy with the end product.
    On that, Dingo (El Dingo) I had just (3) of the 12V 35AH batteries (~20 lbs. ea.), the motor (~40 lbs.) & the controller box (~10 lbs.).
    I quickly found, with all of that weight (100+ lbs.) right over top of a "live" axle (posi-traction) the steering became more of a suggestion than a command. (not good)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Functional Artist View Post
    ... the steering became more of a suggestion than a command.
    LOL reminds me of riding horses. I could never get used to having to convince something to do what I was "steering".
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey... with failure comes experience. I believe you cant build something right without building it wrong first, even a few times.

11. Likes Ted Dillard liked this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast