Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  24
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Your "OTHER" projects

Post Thanks / Like
    Double Trouble with it's (2) 24V 450W motors ended up being more like a "double dud". It zipped along ~12 MPH, but I didn't notice much of a difference when the second motor was activated. It just seemed like it helped "carry the load" better.

I figured, lets play with/learn about "overvolting" motors, but not just "plain" overvolting maybe a kart with an electric "Turbo Button".

I was thinkin', maybe I can set it up to run normally with the 24V speed controller, but also have a "button" that when engaged it sends 36V to the motor.

That way the motor is not being overvolted full time, just during short bursts. (kinda like hitting the nitrous button in a car with an ICE engine)

Here is a project explanation video

Here is a link to the entire build thread (if anyone is interested) http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36894

Here is a "turbo" test run using dual 30A fuses

Last edited by Functional Artist; 3 Weeks Ago at 0619.

Post Thanks / Like
    After the Turbo tests I figured that I would do something a little more creative.

How about a kart without a steering wheel? (just use the force)

So, I designed & built a kart I called Zero (basically a zero turn kart)

I used (2) of those little Chinese electric scooters & some casters from Harbor Freight.

Here is the entire build thread (if anyone is interested) http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=36632

* In the end it worked/functioned, but I was quite disappointed with it's performance.

Kinda reminded me of a late '70's Corvette. It did everything it is supposed to do, but it didn't do anything very well.

The motors were under powered, the rear brakes & wheels were too light duty & narrow & would lock up & drag the tire more often than not.

** I rode it up to a local ice cream shop one evening & got pulled over by a Police Officer.
    (I was kinda surprised because he was more interested in the kart, than the fact that I was riding it on the street)
    (* Don't try this at home)

Post Thanks / Like
    Since electric motors have so much torque, right from zero RPM's, for my next project I was thinkin' how about a "wheel stander"? (an electric go kart that can pop wheelies)
    It would have to be small, light weight & kinda short (reduce the length of the lever) with most of the weight toward the rear & it would need lots of power. (dual 48V 1,000W motors)

I called this one !Arriba! (Spanish adverb for "up") kinda like "get up & go". (seemed appropriate)
    I was initially disappointed in this one too.
    It was fun to ride around, but it didn't seem have the power that I thought it should have, even with all of the advantages (short wheel base, weight biased in the rear & dual motors) it wasn't a wheel stander. (not even close)

Come to find out that I damaged (1) or more of the 12V 12AH SLA batteries, (on those stupid Batt-Bridge tests) so I wasn't getting "full power".
    When I did the first "Hold on to your hat test", I was using (4) brand new 12V 12AH SLA batteries ("full power") & just a contactor/no speed controller. (also "full power")

I certainly wasn't expecting the outcome, at all. (it actually scared the crap out of me)

* & I should have been wearing "safety gear", like Ted said.

edit:
    Here is the entire build thread (if anyone is interested) http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37852
    Last edited by Functional Artist; 2 Weeks Ago at 1152.

Post Thanks / Like
    Over the winter I did a lot of research on many different styles & designs of frames & chassis.

While doing so, I came across a Backbone chassis style frame.

From what I understand,
    "Colin Chapman, the founder of Lotus, invented backbone chassis in his original Elan roadster.
    Backbone chassis is very simple: a strong tubular backbone (usually in rectangular section) connects the front and rear axle and provides nearly all the mechnical strength. Inside which there is space for the drive shaft in case of front-engine, rear-wheel drive layout like the Elan. The whole drivetrain, engine and suspensions are connected to both ends of the backbone. The body is built on the backbone, usually made of glass-fibre."

So, it's usually (1) main rail "backbone" (instead of (2) rails like a traditional "H" style frame) & most of the main moving parts are inter-connected & protected, within the backbone itself.

Here is a kool "backbone chassis" demo video (not one of mine)

So, this spring/summer I worked on designed & built an electric go kart called the Torsk, using (some of) the "backbone chassis" concept.

I put the battery pack & most of the electrical system within the backbone & keeping with the protection aspect of the backbone chassis, I designed & installed the rear axle & the steering shaft to operate within protected tubes too.
    It has (4) 12V 15AH SLA batteries, a 48V 1,000W motor & uses a 7.2:1 gear ratio.
    It uses an Amp/Volt meter to show pack voltage & the amp draw & it also has a speedometer/odometer to show speed & range.
    The top speed is ~24 MPH, the amp draw seems to average ~10A & the range seems to be a little over 5 miles.

Here is the entire build thread (if anyone is interested) http://www.diygokarts.com/vb/showthread.php?t=38905

Here is another video, Me & Desteny take a ride.

5. Likes Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Frodus, I didn't mean to commandeer your thread. (it just seemed an appropriate place to put 'em)

So, that's my go kart portfolio. I've done some "other projects", maybe we'll get in to some of them later.

* I just started workin' on another kart, but I'll start a dedicated thread for it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool stuff - I especially like the look of that Torsk. Very clean.

As far as a full kart build thread here, since we're mostly about motorcycles, perhaps that's best done on the other forums you're active on.
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 2 Weeks Ago at 0540.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dillard View Post
    Cool stuff - I especially like the look of that Torsk. Very clean.

As far as a full kart build thread here, since we're mostly about motorcycles, perhaps that's best done on the other forums you're active on.
    Thanks, Ted

The next one is gonna be a 48V 1,800W electric powered kart called Damien.
    It's "loosely" based on an Ariel Atom type chassis.

But, OK (not lookin for trouble) I'll take it elsewhere.
    Last edited by Functional Artist; 2 Weeks Ago at 0805.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flo View Post
    Hi
    About 5000 hrs for the 29 plugs, 29 moulds and the two planes plus a few test parts...

Thats just to produce the mouldet parts... rc, edf and detailing probably another 80 on mine (puff the magic dragon) while Robert spend some more on detailing his (speedbrakes and outboard fuel tank, in air fueling nozzle...) i just wanted it to be over after doing the whole build myself... Robert was up for all detail work, research and find / order parts and materials... he`s not a traditional builder but a great "fiddler"

Build threat is in Rc-groups dot com

Flight time is around 7 mins on 10 -to 12s lipo 5500mah
    mine weights only 6.7 kg while Roberts is 7.4 if i recall correctly. Lenth is about 1.86m!! not a small plane

Havn´t flown it since 3 Years as i am much more into Dynamic Soaring (DS) nowadays (rc-wise) - much more adrenalin

greets

flo
    Dynamic which what?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicman View Post
    Dynamic which what?

http://https://-76-Scratch-built-twin-JF90mm-A6-Intruder

Be prepared to spend hours... no weeks,,, perusing this site. INCREDIBLE
    I'm glad I decided years ago not to get too involved with this hobby. I'd be broke and never have time to go fishing LOL
    Last edited by Stevo; 6 Days Ago at 0912.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

11. Likes flo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicman View Post
    Dynamic which what?

Hi
    since it would take a lot of explanation - a way to fly glider planes accumulating energy by dippin into the lee side of a hill. There is an incredible amount to be gaind. Rc gliders beeing able get up to about 500 mls/hr. Of course i am not that fast...
    one of the best vids even if not at record speed:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wY41yVq88mc

greets

flo

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast