Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tools - some of my faves

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, that's some cool gear. I couldn't tell much from the photo, so Googlized it:
    https://www.northerntool.com/shop/to...6678_200406678

Kinda pricey, but sweet!
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

3. Likes Ted Dillard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ted, I got a deal from a friend on the sander. He'd already bought all the replacement wheels it needed and I think he let me have it for $600, a price which I didn't have to think twice about accepting!

For layout, inspection and fixturing a planer/shaper gauge is very handy

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-gauge-336774/

The discount tool places have often got very good prices on 1-2-3 and 2-4-6 blocks. These are rectangular hardened steel or cast iron blocks that are those dimensions in inches on the sides. They are usually well under .001" on square/flat/parallel and you can do inspection with them or fixture things to them or just use them as accurate spacers. Five pairs for under $10/pair from here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SHARS-5-Pai...W/300740158015

The import places also have granite surface plates, and even the lower grade ones are plenty flat for most hobby uses, and the prices are low enough to justify having one for "just in case", especially if you can find a supplier that is having a free freight promotion. I got a couple from Enco (before they were closed) that way, I'm sure they didn't make any money shipping them to me for free.

cheers,
    Michael

5. Likes Ted Dillard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    That brings up an interesting point - the discount places, like Harbor Freight and Northern Tool, have great prices for sure. I think when you look at that stuff you have to weigh the price vs. the use. That is, how much do you intend to use it? Is it just a one-time thing (like the press was for me) but maybe if you have it you'll use it more? ...or is it something you're going to be using daily (like that die grinder - I use it almost every time I'm putting something together).

My Dad always beat into me that you buy the best, but, honestly, what's the point if you're getting it just for one gig? I now buy stuff from the bargain places without shame! I'll freely admit it's lower quality and not going to take the abuse, but, well, so what?

But, for that matter, that's one reason I'm starting a MakerSpace... to be able to buy great tools and have them used. hmmmm.
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 3 Weeks Ago at 1519.
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    @cmcnall, awesome list! I stole a wire stripper like that from my Dad - lol - I didn't know they're available anymore, his was from the '40s, for his HAM radio stuff. ALSO, that IR meter is the BALLS!
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    For when all else fails....

ON4821__27.jpg
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Juiced Drag Racing
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630

9. Likes Stevo, Richard230 liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12