Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Quiq charger fault?

Post Thanks / Like

Quiq charger fault?

Hi

I have a Quiq HF/PFC 72V charger 912-7200 and it been behaving strange for a while.

I bought it used from a member on ES and I think it was reprogrammed by Frodus some years ago.

I use algorithm #123 which should have end voltage 89.1V, when I bought it it ended at 90.3 V which is better for my build ( 11 Leaf modules) .

But now I see that end voltage creep up and now end voltage is about 90.55V. I also see often that during charge ammeter LED's on the side goes up and down fast several times and I see that on my ammeter too. I looks like charger tries to increase amperes, but go down again. Charging amps goes fast up and down and as example today - I returned from a trip where pack SOC is 50% , charger starts to charge at 11,6 A, but now few minutes later it charges at 1.2 A when pack voltage is still low ( 85,6V).

I checked all contacts between the charger and my battery, I use Anderson Power pole for connectors.

I use charger in same manner as before. On charging cable - green wire is disconnected, red wire connected to my battery's plus, and white and black wire is connected together to battery minus. Temperature sensor on the cable lug i received was cut of.

CGR-912-7200-4.jpg

Can it be that I use charger in wrong way and I should connect temperature sensor back? I tried it once but charger didn't started the

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    There can be a little difference between 89.1V when measured by the DeltaQ itself. It might be slightly higher at the battery if your multimeter is not calibrated.

The lithium profile, when you keep it plugged in, wakes up and tries to top off the batteries. It's a bit like a maintenance charge. It goes up, charges a tad, then comes down because you're at the finish voltage.

The temperature sensor is not used with Lithium, it is removed and the white connects to black to enable and disable the charger. You can use that for with a BMS to stop charging when a cell hits high voltage cutoff first.

Make sure your white wire is solidly connected to the B- terminal of the battery, and that there is no contactor between the charger and battery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Frodus, thank you for your answer.

I start to think there is something wrong with my charger.

Last time when it jumped the way i described as soon i tapped lightly on charger housing with a rubber hammer charging amperage go higher, as soon it goes down again after next tap ig go up again until it stayed there. For me it sounds like some component at PCB are not very well connected or start to loose connection. Today when i charging again, there was no no jumping at all. It still overcharge according to chosen program.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Maybe take the cover off and make sure everything inside is seated correctly, especially the voltage leads.

Post Thanks / Like
    I also use a 72v Quiq with 11 Leaf modules. I use a different alg to charge to 91.188v (nominal). I haven't noticed voltage creep, but I have always had a slight (and variable) difference between the nominal setpoint (91.188), what I see on the CycleAnalyst, and what I see with a calibrated multimeter. When you think about it, 0.01v on a 100v scale is 0.01% error. Getting anywhere near that precise requires really expensive equipment- so unless you're using a $200 multimeter to take measurements, I wouldn't worry about it.