Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 1980 Kawasaki 440 LTD 8kW conversion-Workin' toward the conclusion

Post Thanks / Like
    I tried to find the supplier - is this it? http://www.yunyang-china.com/products/uy-600w-charger/

That dialog sounds exactly like one I had with a wireless DC motor controller (for robotics) a while back - also from China.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I think your right, it certainly looks like it.

The place I got my chargers from goes by Guangzhou Yunyang Electronic Technology Co. & the descriptions are quite different.

Here is the product description from the chargers I bought.

48V 10A UY600 Battery Charger 13S lithium ion battery charger 54.6v
    Model: UY600
    Input : AC100-240Vac 50/60Hz
    Output : DC54.6V10A
    Efficiency : >85%
    Application : 48V20AH-48V60AH Lithium Ion Battery Pack
    Battery Type : Li-ion battery ,Lithium ion Battery , Lipo Battery

Detailed Description
    Charging Model : Constant Current (CV) , Constant Voltage (CV) , Trickle charge/Float charge
    Constant Charging Current : 10A

Constant Charging Voltage : 54.6V

Features
    1.Intelligent PWM IC control ,full automatic transition of CC,CV and Float/Cut-off, meet the demands for different Curve.
    2.Precise limit of Voltage & Current , ensure fully charged and avoid over charge.
    3.Various Protection: Over Current, Over Voltage, Over Temperature, Short Circuit and Reverse Polarity.
    4.LED indicator , Aluminium Housing , Robust, Elegant and Reliable
    5.Patent Pending , 3 Years Warranty.
    6.CE ROHS CB Certification

Post Thanks / Like
    Gotcha - these guys: http://gdyunyang.en.alibaba.com/
    www.powerinflux.com

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Tired of waitin' & runnin' out of summer I thought, what the heck lets see if I can do this, so I went ahead & gave 'er a try

First, I removed (8) small Phillips head screws, (4) on each end & then gently pulled the end covers loose, to see what we had to work with.

I assumed (wrong) that the circuit board would just slide right out.

Nope, looking inside with a light, I see that there are things that are soldered to the circuit board & also "glued" to the inside of the aluminum box.

Hmmm

Well, it looks like the "green thing" is right here at the edge of the circuit board & the (2) "jumper spots" (A) & (B) seem to be kinda accessible too. (I think I can do it!)

I "sniped" the "green thing" out (kinda looks like a Lima bean)

Then, made up (2) jumper wires (The "factory" recommended (oddball) 17 AWG wire (the next size bigger is usually better) so, I cut (2) ~1" pieces of (orange) 16g. wire.

I tinned both of the ends of both jumper wires.

Then, used the soldering iron to melt a small blob of solder (to tin) each of the first "jumper wire" attachment spots (A) & (B)

I held (1) end of a jumper wire to (1) of the solder blobs (B) & used the soldering iron to solder them together.

Then, I held the other end to the second solder blob (A) & soldered them together too.

Lookin' good so far, hopefully this second one goes that smoothly.

I melted (2) more solder blobs to where the Lima bean was mounted.

I gripped the second jumper with a clamp, pressed (1) end of it to (1) of the solder blobs & then used the soldering iron to solder them together.

I pressed the other end of the jumper to the second blob & soldered them together too.

Boom!, I think I did it.

Just hadta reinstall the ends & give 'er a try
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Functional Artist View Post
    Tired of waitin' & runnin' out of summer I thought, what the heck lets see if I can do this, so I went ahead & gave 'er a try

First, I removed (8) small Phillips head screws, (4) on each end & then gently pulled the end covers loose, to see what we had to work with.

I assumed (wrong) that the circuit board would just slide right out.

Nope, looking inside with a light, I see that there are things that are soldered to the circuit board & also "glued" to the inside of the aluminum box.

Hmmm

Well, it looks like the "green thing" is right here at the edge of the circuit board & the (2) "jumper spots" (A) & (B) seem to be kinda accessible too. (I think I can do it!)

I "sniped" the "green thing" out (kinda looks like a Lima bean)

Then, made up (2) jumper wires (The "factory" recommended (oddball) 17 AWG wire (the next size bigger is usually better) so, I cut (2) ~1" pieces of (orange) 16g. wire.

I tinned both of the ends of both jumper wires.

Then, used the soldering iron to melt a small blob of solder (to tin) each of the first "jumper wire" attachment spots (A) & (B)

I held (1) end of a jumper wire to (1) of the solder blobs (B) & used the soldering iron to solder them together.

Then, I held the other end to the second solder blob (A) & soldered them together too.

Lookin' good so far, hopefully this second one goes that smoothly.

I melted (2) more solder blobs to where the Lima bean was mounted.

I gripped the second jumper with a clamp, pressed (1) end of it to (1) of the solder blobs & then used the soldering iron to solder them together.

I pressed the other end of the jumper to the second blob & soldered them together too.

Boom!, I think I did it.

Just hadta reinstall the ends & give 'er a try

This post is almost verbatim from a post on the DIY Electric Car Forums:

"Tired of waitin' & runnin' out of summer
    What the hlle, I'm goin' in (hope I don't mess this up)

First, I removed (8) small Phillips head screws
    …(4) on each end

Then, gently pulled the end covers loose (to see what we had to work with)

I assumed (wrong) that the circuit board would just slide right out

Nope, looking inside with a light, I see that there are things that are soldered to the circuit board
    ...& also "glued" to the inside of the aluminum box

Hmmm

Well, it looks like the "green thing" is right here at the edge of the circuit board
    …& the (2) "jumper spots" (A) & (B) seem to be kinda accessible too

I think I can do it!

Step 1.)
    I "sniped" the Lima bean out

OK, now we need (2) jumper wires
    ...the "factory" recommended (oddball) 17 AWG
    (the next size bigger is usually better)

Step 2.)
    So, I cut (2) ~ 1" pieces of orange 16 g. wire

Step 3.)
    I tinned both of the ends of both jumper wires

Step 4.)
    I used the soldering iron to melt a small blob of solder (to tin) each of the first "jumper wire" attachment spots (A) & (B)

Step 5.)
    I held (1) end of a jumper wire to (1) of the solder blobs (B)
    …& used the soldering iron to solder them together

Step 6.)
    Then, I held the other end to the second solder blob (A)
    …& soldered them together too

Lookin' good so far, hopefully this second one goes that smoothly

Step 7.)
    I melted (2) more solder blobs
    ...where the Lima bean was mounted

Step 8.)
    I gripped the second jumper with a clamp
    …pressed (1) end of it to (1) of the solder blobs
    …& then, used the soldering iron to solder them together

Step 9.)
    I pressed the other end of the jumper to the second blob

Boom!, I think we did it

Just gotta reinstall this yellow wire
    …& put the ends back on
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg SAM_1935.JPG (3.39 MB, 2 views)
    File Type: jpg SAM_1947.JPG (3.45 MB, 2 views)
    File Type: jpg SAM_1954.JPG (3.42 MB, 2 views)
    File Type: jpg SAM_1968.JPG (3.37 MB, 2 views)"

I thought you were going to stop regurgitating this old stuff from another Forum? I, for one, find it quite a waste of time because I keep checking into your posts for new information on your project. But, it's the same old stuff presented in about the same quirky, with too much information, hard to follow style. I guess it has fewer spaces and you discovered how to use periods (.). This could be such a pleasurable experience reading about another person's creative experience. You continue to make it a very painful process and real waste of time. If you could post information like you did in post 8 of this thread, this would be a much better experience.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Electro Flyers View Post
    This post is almost verbatim from a post on the DIY Electric Car Forums:

"Tired of waitin' & runnin' out of summer
    What the hlle, I'm goin' in (hope I don't mess this up)

First, I removed (8) small Phillips head screws
    …(4) on each end

Then, gently pulled the end covers loose (to see what we had to work with)

I assumed (wrong) that the circuit board would just slide right out

Nope, looking inside with a light, I see that there are things that are soldered to the circuit board
    ...& also "glued" to the inside of the aluminum box

Hmmm

Well, it looks like the "green thing" is right here at the edge of the circuit board
    …& the (2) "jumper spots" (A) & (B) seem to be kinda accessible too

I think I can do it!

Step 1.)
    I "sniped" the Lima bean out

OK, now we need (2) jumper wires
    ...the "factory" recommended (oddball) 17 AWG
    (the next size bigger is usually better)

Step 2.)
    So, I cut (2) ~ 1" pieces of orange 16 g. wire

Step 3.)
    I tinned both of the ends of both jumper wires

Step 4.)
    I used the soldering iron to melt a small blob of solder (to tin) each of the first "jumper wire" attachment spots (A) & (B)

Step 5.)
    I held (1) end of a jumper wire to (1) of the solder blobs (B)
    …& used the soldering iron to solder them together

Step 6.)
    Then, I held the other end to the second solder blob (A)

Lookin' good so far, hopefully this second one goes that smoothly

Step 7.)
    I melted (2) more solder blobs
    ...where the Lima bean was mounted

Step 8.)
    I gripped the second jumper with a clamp
    …pressed (1) end of it to (1) of the solder blobs
    …& then, used the soldering iron to solder them together

Step 9.)
    I pressed the other end of the jumper to the second blob

Boom!, I think we did it

Just gotta reinstall this yellow wire
    …& put the ends back on
    Attached Images
    File Type: jpg SAM_1935.JPG (3.39 MB, 2 views)
    File Type: jpg SAM_1947.JPG (3.45 MB, 2 views)
    File Type: jpg SAM_1954.JPG (3.42 MB, 2 views)
    File Type: jpg SAM_1968.JPG (3.37 MB, 2 views)"

I thought you were going to stop regurgitating this old stuff from another Forum? I, for one, find it quite a waste of time because I keep checking into your posts for new information on your project. But, it's the same old stuff presented in about the same quirky, with too much information, hard to follow style. I guess it has fewer spaces and you discovered how to use periods (.). This could be such a pleasurable experience reading about another person's creative experience. You continue to make it a very painful process and real waste of time. If you could post information like you did in post 8 of this thread, this would be a much better experience.

You (& others) asked me to not quote verbatim from other forum posts & to clean it up/make it easier to read.

I don't think all El Moto forum members are also on DIYelectriccars or DIYgokarts.

So, I am posting this info for members who may not have read it before.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Now to see if it works.
    I took 'er out to the bike, plugged the AC input plug into an extension cord & turned the switch on.
    The red & green lights lit up & No Magic Smoke

I recorded the voltage of the battery pack, before charging
    Tri-Quad: 43V
    Mulit-meter: 43V
    Balance Monitor: 21.6V / 21.6V

Then, I connected the Yewi UY-600 charger @ 4:45pm

Both red lights lit up, but the fan was not on.

I didn't want to turn the circuit breaker on, while charging to get a reading from the Tri-Quad or keep messing with the MM, so I just took hourly voltage readings from the Balance Monitor

1 hour 5:45pm 22.8V / 22.8V 2 red lights & yes the fan is on
    2 hours 6:45pm 23.8 V/ 23.8V 2 red lights & yes the fan is on
    3 hours 7:45pm 24.3V / 24.3V 2 red lights & no the fan is off
    4 hours 8:45pm 24.4V / 24.4V 2 red lights & no the fan is off
    5 hours 9:45 pm 24.4V / 24.4V 1 red light & 1 green light & no fan

When, I unhooked the charger & turned the circuit breaker on the Tri-Quad showed 49.7V
    Hmmm, it should be topped off @ 49V. (who knows how accurate these Chinese meters are?)

So, I waited an hour & took more readings (rested voltage) ~6 hours from when I started charging (~11:00 pm)
    Tri-Quad: 49.7V
    Balance monitor: 24.4V / 24.4V

The next morning (~16 hours from when I started charging) I took some more readings (overnight rested voltage) ~9:00am
    Tri-Quad: 49.8V
    Balance monitor: 24.4V / 24.4V (48.8V total)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Functional Artist View Post
    You (& others) asked me to not quote verbatim from other forum posts & to clean it up/make it easier to read.

I don't think all El Moto forum members are also on DIYelectriccars or DIYgokarts.

So, I am posting this info for members who may not have read it before.
    This statement doesn't make any sense. So let me get this straight. You're quoting from the old, other forum posts " verbatim" and you've chosen not to "clean it up" or "make it easier to read" for the benefit of the other members of this forum whom haven't read your old posts?

If I may make a suggestion. Rename your Thread, or, start a new one titled: "Old Posts From Other Forums To Catch People Up On My 1980 Kawasaki 440 LTD 8kW Conversion". This way those of us, whom have already read through the not cleaned-up or easier to read posts, can ignore them. Please do this for everybody's sanity.
    Last edited by Electro Flyers; 25 September 2018 at 2033.

9. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Electro Flyers View Post
    ... Please do this for everybody's sanity.
    I think that's a barn door the horses got out of a long time ago...

Seriously, a great majority of users here are in many other EV related forums, especially DIY Electric Car, and have read your threads there (I know, I've heard from them). My advice would be to post a link to your build thread there and call it a day. Start a new project, start an new thread, and why not start that here instead of somewhere else?

That said, I'm not getting dragged into this foolishness again.
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 26 September 2018 at 0301.
    www.powerinflux.com

11. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Conclusion

I've done a lot of research, contemplation & physical work to bring this project together.

I was kinda intimidated (I wonder why) to share it with this forum until it was functional.

Now, I am trying to share my electric motorcycle conversion with other electric motorcycle enthusiasts.

Every other forum that I have ever been on usually want more info & details not less. (I've never heard "hurry up & get to the end")

So, you (everyone, I guess) will be happy to know this is the conclusion of the story. (so far anyways)

A design flaw I've noticed is that I can't really see the Amp/Volt meter too good while riding.

The digits are too small & it's also angled down a little too flat. (that's what R & D is all about)

The next Tri-Quad (or what ever meter I come up with) will have bigger digits (like the ones on the Balance Monitor) & be angled back a little bit too.

Its kinda hard to watch the meters & concentrate on riding, so to gather some data, I set up the camera to record the dash board while I took a little ride.

After reviewing the data, it looks like the voltage sag was usually ~1V but, also I saw ~2V drop several times too & If you look closely @ ~3:00, I saw the Amps hit ~500A.

Everything seems to be working well, but I'm kinda surprised about the 500A readings. (running thru a 150A circuit breaker & it not triggering)

I have checked the temp (by hand) several times & it was never (even) warm to the touch.

So, I guess were OK, but I'll still keep an eye on it.

The top speed seems to be right at 35 MPH (which is ...Kool! for now)

It moves right along & the amp draw @ top speed seemed to only be ~20 - 30A on average.

Last edited by Functional Artist; 26 September 2018 at 0603.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast