Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: Motenergy ME1302

Post Thanks / Like

Motenergy ME1302

Hey everybody,

My name is JD and I am new to electric motorcycles and electric motors in general really haha. I have a KX65 collecting dust in my garage and would like to do an electric conversion to it and use it mainly as a after hours pit bike on my backyard track. I have seen a couple mini-bike conversions using modded oset motors etc. but I want the bike to have power equal to around 20hp +/- and was told a water cooled brushless motor would be my best bet. I have been looking at this ME1302 model and was wondering if it would be total overkill or a good option for my project. here is the description from the web store:

Designed for long life. No brush maintenance. The motor is 92% efficient at voltages between 24 to 96 VDC. Continuous current of 125 amps AC (180 Amps DC into the motor control). This is a 3-phase, Y-connected Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor with an axial air gap. It has two stators with a rotor in the center.

1) This is a 4 pole motor (8 magnets). 2) The Phase to Phase winding resistance is 0.013 Ohms. 3) The maximum recommended rotor speed is 5000 RPM. 4) Voltages from 0 to 96 VDC input to the control. 5) Torque constant of 0.15 Nm per Amp 6) The Inductance Phase to Phase is 0.10 Milli-Henry with 28 turns per phase. 7) Armature Inertia is 45 Kg Cm Squared. 8) Peak current of 420 Amps AC for 1 minute (600 Amps DC into the motor control). 9) Weight of 35 pounds. 10) Peak Stall Torque of 60 FtLb.

Most of this might as well been chinese as far as my understanding goes but i've ordered a couple books on electric motors and electric vehicle conversions to hopefully change that but what i did see was a peak stall torque rating of 60 ft/lbs and that seemed like wayyyyyy to much for a pit bike. Can you adjust power delivery with a controller and battery set up or am I on the wrong track with a motor like this?

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

JD

Post Thanks / Like
    OoooOOoo. I was going to quip something about overkill being impossible, until I looked up the bike.

Yeah, that's a badass motor that I'd put into at least a 350cc frame, but more better a 600cc frame. I'd say for a mini-bike mini-cycle type of thing, I'd be going with a brushed, smaller, cheaper motor, but I can't seem to find a Motenergy that's lighter. Too bad you couldn't find an original ETEK, that'd be perfect.

I did a post a while back on horsepower ratings, maybe this will help: https://evmc2.wordpress.com/2012/04/...-the-universe/

Oh... and WELCOME!
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    ME0909 would be a good choice for a lil mini/pit bike
    I have a controller that you can buy cheap (Alltrax AXE4834)
    I'll even throw in a contactor and a main fuse/holder
    Last edited by Stevo; 19 September 2018 at 0939.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    ...yeah, that's only 24lbs- same weight as the ETEK. 48V would be fine, too - you don't want to go over 70 on that thing, do you?
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    wow thanks for the quick responses guys! and no, I am not trying to go 70 hahaha I would be happy with 45. My goals for the build are 1. being able to out pace my stock KLX110 2. getting around 45 min of ride time per charge 3. keeping weight and handling characteristics as close to or better than an i.c.e bike as possible. I checked out the ME0909 and it sounds like a great option, the supplier said they have put them in mini bike before and they feel significantly faster than a stock XR100 so I'm thinking this might be the motor I need.

Post Thanks / Like
    No problem - I've basically spent the entire day so far surfing here and other places. LOL Not too busy at work atm.

Check this out - https://www.goldenmotor.com/ Scroll down to the 3KW BLDC Motor. Not too shabby.

HPM3000-Specs.jpg

I think that (at 3000 RPM!) could get you going fast enough to scare the b'jeesus outta you (isn't that the point?), and it's only 17lbs or so, 6" in diameter, and cheap. It has a liquid cooling, and a 72V option too. You could run it dry, it leaves more room for batteries, and you can add cooling if it starts getting all melty. I haven't used the Goldens, but I know they're not uncommon for the smaller mini and bicycle conversion builds.
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for throwing a wrench in my sales pitch, Ted!
    45 minutes of ride time would need a big battery pack, even with the golden motor, IMO.
    But Ted is right, the Golden will be much better than an old 0909
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4

Senior Member Functional Artist's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Here is a low cost alternative. I've used them on go karts before, they zip right along.
    48V 1,800W brushless motor, controller & throttle ($135.00 delivered)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/PRO-48V-180...MAAOSwi0xaSuUR

Here is a very "shaky" video with some good info on this motor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffzQf7ppw5g

9. Likes Ted Dillard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

i really want your controller for my 50cc rieju rr

Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    ME0909 would be a good choice for a lil mini/pit bike
    I have a controller that you can buy cheap (Alltrax AXE4834)
    I'll even throw in a contactor and a main fuse/holder
    i want to use it with a motenergy me0909
    can i pls buy your controller and for how much can you send it to amsterdam, netherlands?

Post Thanks / Like
    I can send it to you as a gift....might save you some money on import fees. I only want 125 bucks for it. I don't know how much shipping will be. I'll even throw in a contactor, fuse and suppression diode as a package deal for you. If you decide you want it, send me in a private message your address and I will see what it will cost to send ...won't be cheap I'm sure

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk