Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  7

Thread: What my wife THOUGHT I was building...

Post Thanks / Like

What my wife THOUGHT I was building...

So, I had two builds under my belt, and I decided I got the basics nailed. I wanted to build a nice bike.

I've always loved what is now loosely called "cafe racers", and I had a 1975 Yamaha RD350B that I'd blueprinted, bored and ported, and did all the frame and suspension tweaks we used to do back in the '80s and I loved it, except for the pipey 2-stroke thing. I mean, it scared the crap outta me, but that gets old fast, especially if you just want to go down to the store for a rack o' poundahs. (6-pack of beer, to those not from around here...) SO I was looking for one of those frames to port my parts over to for a nice cafe build.

That vintage frame is scarce around these parts, so when I found one a few hours away, I jumped on it. (The guy says, dude. It's a frame. I'm like, yeah I know what it is. He says, no. It's just a frame. I'm like, is it a 1971 R5 frame, like you said? He said yes. I said then I know what it is and I want it. He said, no problem, it's a long drive and I just wanted to be sure.)

So I call my wife (you were wondering when I'd get around to her, right?) and tell her I'm going to be a few hours late from work, drive the long way home via North Brookfield MA. (godforsaken country), pull this frame out of a literal chicken coop, toss it in the truck and drive home. Wait, I think I have a photo.

picture-32.jpg

I drop it in the driveway, bring home an Epson large-format printer box (about 60" long by 4' square) and use that to sandblast the frame. I paint it in the driveway, and then bring it into the cellar. A few months later, I pull it out, all yellow, and park it in the driveway, and she walks by it. She says, oh, you got a new nice yellow motorcycle?

524363_4613483854625_1027524504_n.jpg

I was like, what the hell do you think I've been doing in the cellar for the last few months? She said oh, I dunno, I figured you were building some sort of Zombie Fembot.

THEN she said, WHERE THE HELL IS THE JETPACK YOU PROMISED ME???

...so what does YOUR wife (or husband) think you're building?
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 26 September 2018 at 1537.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    LOL.... Great story Ted!
    So Does your fembot have lasers? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTv9AhCuSU4
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

3. Likes Ted Dillard, Richard230 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Ha! My Elmoto was pre-wife, so she didn't get to see it, but she did see the Brammo when i owned it.

But more recently, I've got the Kart project and she had no illusions of what it was going to be. It was funny, when I told her what I was doing, she immediately said "When do I get to ride it".

I made a good choice with her!

5. Likes Stevo, Functional Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Man, do YOU have a lot to learn about being married. THAT just means you're gonna have to build another one so YOU get to ride it.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

7. Likes Functional Artist liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Dillard View Post
    Man, do YOU have a lot to learn about being married. THAT just means you're gonna have to build another one so YOU get to ride it.
    What makes you think I ain't?

9. Likes Stevo, Ted Dillard liked this post