Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  14
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: KwSAKI Mk1 (Ex 500)

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE 2: I got the motor turning last night! Super close to a test ride.

2. Likes Ted Dillard, Mandres, Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE 3:

Wired Thunderstruck BMS, Thunderstruck EVCC, Wired charger. Way easier to setup then I thought.

Diagnostics on my pack show all cells very close to each other volt wise (.002 average voltage deviation).

Installed new rear damper and chain.

Up next:
    Wire J1772 plug (so I can finally charge my batteries, dont worry they are still 4v a cell)
    Chain guard

After I finally get a test ride under my belt. I am going to do a deep dive (lots of pictures) on each module or system in the bike and how it was setup / wired / assembled.

Let me know what you think,
    -Aggrc

4. Likes Nicman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hope it's coming along well. I'm very interested in reading more about the build and the different systems. Have you run into any big problems?

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE 4:

The riding season is on its way up here in the northeast, seems like a great time for an update!

J1772 DONE, very nice set up with the thunderstruck EVCC doing its magic and working well with thunderstruck BMC system.

Up next is getting the batteries covered up (carbon fiber panels for each side and front of pack), also making a chain guard, right now I have a massive piece of plastic bolted to the side of the bike to protect my foot from being eaten by the front sprocket.

Issues, I have a 500W DC/DC converter that has been giving me some troubles. Only likes to kick out 12v volts if the plug on the unit is held just so. I thought it was my wiring to the plug but I bench tested the DC/DC and found the same weird behavior. Then to top it off I dropped the darn thing and bust the plug right off. Whoops. So now I am looking for a 300W replacement.

Impressions of the bike:
    Ill be honest not blown away by the off the line performance. I am taking a look at the throttle mapping to see if I can get more get up and go out of it. Any advice here is greatly appreciated.

Currently the bike does around 60 mph flat out, so I am looking to bump the rpm max from 4k to 6k. If I remember the spec sheet thats reasonable for the ME1507.

It does burnouts like a champ, which brings me to my last point. During my last burnout I got a cell voltage low. The pack was fully charged and balanced so I am worried I have a cell in the pack thats on its way out.

Tell me what you want to hear more about, as always Ill try and add some photos.

Post Thanks / Like
    rear fairing removed to show more of the bits

IMG_20181101_195102952.jpg

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    I too went with the Thunderstruck BMS, but I didn't get the charger controller...
    The BMS is powered up by an isolated 12v dc-dc source so there should be no problems with it... this allows for the BMS to be powered on when the bike is charging and off, as well as when the bike is being operated.
    Are you utilizing either of the error loop circuits? I was thinking of using one of the loops to control a relay for the charger power supply, and turn off the charger when the first cell hits 4.1 volts. I was wondering if you configured the BMS for that function and if it worked well. I don't want the charger to keep cycling power on and off when the top cell fluctuates between 4.1 and <4.1 as the charger kicks off/on.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    I'm not using the either of loops but that is an interesting application for them. I dont see a reason why you couldnt do that.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123