Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  13
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KwSAKI Mk1 (Ex 500)

Post Thanks / Like

KwSAKI Mk1 (Ex 500)

Hello everyone,
    My bike got a name today so it seemed fitting to FINALLY start a build thread. I am going to call it the "Kilowattsaki" or "KwSAKI" for short. I have more pictures to post but here's a taste of the final product.

IMG_20180930_095859.jpg

PARTS
    -ME1507
    -SevCon Gen4 Size6
    -12 nissan leaf modules in series
    -Thunderstruck BMS
    -Thunderstruck EVCC
    -Domino Throttle
    -TSM2500 charger
    -J1772 charge port
    -Front sprocket 2,13,14 tooth
    -Rear sprocket 65, 60 tooth
    -520 chain
    -LEV200 contactor
    -Sevcon dc/dc converter
    -clearview display
    -Sevcon heat sink

Inspiration for this project comes from JoeReal's ex500 build and a love of the ex500 platform. The bike is not done but my plan is to be able to ride it by 10/08/18 11:59 pm (its good to have deadlines!)

TODO
    BMS wiring
    Clearview display
    Sevcon controller (two pins left to wire)
    Many others... But the above should get me on the road.

Let me know what you think! Updates to follow.
    -Aggrc

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Cool name for a cool bike!
    Nice job. I'm interested to see the results of all of your gearing options. That's a lot of test rides!! YEEEEHAAAA
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

3. Likes frodus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Really nice work!

Post Thanks / Like
    UPDATE 1:

My deadline passed and unfortunately I did not get a test ride yet. I was able to get the BMS wiring all sorted. Also wired are 6 temperature sensors located in throughout the battery. The battery terminal cover was also completed. First time building something out of fiber glass. Very please with how it came out. It still needs to be finish sanded, bondo'd and painted but for now its keeping the terminals safe from shorting out.

I finished the wiring for the DC/DC converter. It works well and I like being able to turn it on and off with the enable switch. I know it will still have some parasitic draw on the traction pack even when off but it seemed way cooler then having an aux 12 volt battery.

Finished the mounting bracket for the sevcon display.

Still working on the wiring for the CANbus, very simple network to start, motor controller <--> BMS <--> Display. Adding the Thunderstruck EVCC and charger at a later date. You can see the charger is already installed under the DC/DC.

Aligned the rear wheel and made sure the sprockets were in line. I need to make a chain guard, as the rear sprocket is massive.

Next deadline 10/21/18, test ride? massive burnout!? thats what old tires are for right?

Let me know what you think!
    -Aggrc

IMG_20181005_110324.jpg
    IMG_20181006_230122.jpg
    IMG_20181007_133100.jpg
    IMG_20181005_152506.jpg
    IMG_20181009_193652.jpg
    IMG_20181009_193713.jpg
    IMG_20181009_193838.jpg
    IMG_20181009_193957.jpg
    IMG_20181009_194238.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    Very nice work so far.
    Only comment i have:
    Is that your charger (looks like) turned up side down? If so check manual if you are allowed to use it like that. For the elcon chargers, as an example, they specific tell you not to use them up side down..
    Just make sure...

greets

flo

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=aggrc;53406]

I finished the wiring for the DC/DC converter. It works well and I like being able to turn it on and off with the enable switch. I know it will still have some parasitic draw on the traction pack even when off but it seemed way cooler then having an aux 12 volt battery.

Let me know what you think!
    -Aggr
    [QUOTE=aggrc;53406]

Do you have the input for your DC to DC convertor wired directly to the battery pack?
    ...or is it wired to/thru your main cut-off switch?

I originally/mistakenly wired mine straight to the bat pack & last winter, while in storage, the "parasitic drain" from my DC to DC drained/killed my bat pack dead, dead, dead.

It's now connected/wired to the "aux" side of my main cut-off switch.

So, now when my main cut-off is "switched off", everything is "off".

Nothing connects directly to my battery except the charge port & that's only to allow/enable charging with the bike completely off.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^ What FA said! I have my Sevcon dc-dc on-off wired to the "key switch" circuit. I'm not using a key, but a bluetooth controlled circuit, and that circuit is controlled with a small coil relay... no parasites!!

Otherwise, its looking good and about ready for some real world testing!!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Another thing to mention, is that the CANbus on the Sevcon Gen4 are not isolated with respect to the pack. I don't know what BMS you're using, but just be sure that you're aware of isolation issues between the CAN on the controller and potentially the BMS. You don't want to create a path that current would want to flow.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flo View Post
    Hi
    Very nice work so far.
    Only comment i have:
    Is that your charger (looks like) turned up side down? If so check manual if you are allowed to use it like that. For the elcon chargers, as an example, they specific tell you not to use them up side down..
    Just make sure...

greets

flo
    I double checked the manual for the charger and it does not say anything about not installing upside down.. I found some examples online where this controller has been used upside down, so I should be good there.

I am concerned about heat generation though.. I was thinking about using the remaining four temp senors from the BMS to thermally monitor the charger and cut back if needed but I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

This forum is great tons of constructive feedback.

Thanks,
    -Aggrc

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Functional Artist View Post
    Do you have the input for your DC to DC convertor wired directly to the battery pack?
    ...or is it wired to/thru your main cut-off switch?

I originally/mistakenly wired mine straight to the bat pack & last winter, while in storage, the "parasitic drain" from my DC to DC drained/killed my bat pack dead, dead, dead.

It's now connected/wired to the "aux" side of my main cut-off switch.

So, now when my main cut-off is "switched off", everything is "off".

Nothing connects directly to my battery except the charge port & that's only to allow/enable charging with the bike completely off.
    Currently, I am wired direct to battery pack.

I am totally with you I dont like the idea of the drain either. I ended up at this implementation because I was worried that the switches I was looking at online were not up to the task of switching ~100v DC. I was looking at this switch (below) but is says only 48v!

http://a.co/d/8J78mXO

If it is not a problem then I am all for the idea.

-Aggrc

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast