Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  13
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: KwSAKI Mk1 (Ex 500)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    Another thing to mention, is that the CANbus on the Sevcon Gen4 are not isolated with respect to the pack. I don't know what BMS you're using, but just be sure that you're aware of isolation issues between the CAN on the controller and potentially the BMS. You don't want to create a path that current would want to flow.
    I am using thunderstuck EV's BMS.

My plan was to use the B- for the common ground for all devices using CAN. In the initial CAN network of only three devices (motor controller <--> BMS <--> Display) it looked like I could power everything from the controller supplied CAN power (Max 100ma).

Make any sense?

-Aggrc

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    I don't know much about their BMS or if it's isolated. Essentially, it needs to be isolated at the cell level, so current cannot flow from B+ through the BMS to that cell.

I don't know that I'd "plan" on using B- for the common ground, unless they specifically outline in the user manual to do so. Some might require separate 12V supply ground.

The BMS manual states +12V and GND. I doubt they mean GND to be pack negative.

Also, the clearview won't gain you anything by connecting to the BMS and Charge controller CAN. Just keep 2 CAN connections. One with the Sevcon to Clearview ONLY. The other between the BMS and Charge controller (If and only if they're meant to work together). I wouldn't connect them.
    Last edited by frodus; 4 Weeks Ago at 1635.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    Also, the clearview won't gain you anything by connecting to the BMS and Charge controller CAN. Just keep 2 CAN connections. One with the Sevcon to Clearview ONLY. The other between the BMS and Charge controller (If and only if they're meant to work together). I wouldn't connect them.
    Separating them into two separate CAN networks seems like the best option at the moment. The three devices BMS, EVCC, charger are all designed to go together. I was hoping to get alarms on the display for cell under voltage and what not.

-Aggrc

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Clearview is for the Sevcon Gen4 only, it's not designed to work with other devices and uses CANopen for the protocol.

I agree, keep Sevcon stuff on one CAN connection. Then the BMS, EVCC, Charger connected together.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Travis, Does the Sevcon dc-dc have an isolated 12v output?
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    The Sevcon DC-DC I sell is an isolated DC-DC converter, meaning the 12V output is completely isolated from the battery pack High Voltage input.

Post Thanks / Like
    Cool project! You've picked the exact mix of components that I've been considering, so I'm watching closely to see how it comes along. Did you get the motor & controller matched through Travis? If not, how did you approach the Sevcon programming?

8. Likes frodus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, I got the motor and controller through Travis (a real awesome dude). Travis loaded a the controller with a config so theoretically it will road out of the box assuming you have everything connected correctly. I will be taking a closer look at the programming over the next few weeks. If I was going to start from scratch programming it, best place to start would be reading the manual a few times. I keep having to go back to it and I am a good ways into this project.

Also I have no regrets with this mix of components

-Aggrc

10. Likes frodus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    The complexity of the Sevcon is the only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet. I really want the performance of this combo, but not being able to make configuration changes over time or for different vehicles without splashing out on the programming kit (and an EE degree) makes me hesitate. I'm super excited to see how yours works out!

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    Mandres,
    I rent the programmer, and also have been making some nice tweaks to the motor files over the last few months. It's pretty close to where I want it. I would say this combo right now is great power and people have been very happy. You would only need the programmer if you need to make changes to voltage, regenerative braking, etc. The main tuning is done. What I could do, is work out something so you get controller/motor (which includes programming) now, get it all mounted, ship to me and I'll program it with the latest I have. You just pay shipping. Or, you rent the programmer and we do it remotely.

Aggrc,
    I wouldn't suggest trying to program it yourself. I'd suggest trying a starting point at the very least. The files I have should give you that. They're not a nightmare to program, you just need a good basepoint, with all the motor parameters already figured out.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast