Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  6
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should you have a mechanical, manual pack disconnect?

Post Thanks / Like
    @StevO - OK, so basically we disagree on only one point, that an off-road motorcycle, well, I'd argue any motorcycle, is hazardous enough to make a $40 cutoff prudent. Or not.
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    So, since Tesla was brought up in StevO's build thread, and I've been minding the phones in the office, (ie, bored AF) I did a little of the ol' Googlin'. Tesla has a page for Emergency Responders, and here's the sheet on the Model S: https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/...e_Guide_en.pdf

ERs are instructed to cut the "Front Trunk First Responder Loop", which is a low voltage harness which "shuts down the high voltage system outside of the
    high voltage battery and disables the SRS and airbag components". They're also advised "Regardless of the disabling procedure you use, ALWAYS ASSUME THAT ALL HIGH VOLTAGE COMPONENTS ARE ENERGIZED! Cutting, crushing, or touching high voltage components can result in serious injury or death."

So, not sure what to conclude there. They don't have a manual disconnect, are disconnecting the HV at the battery using contactors, yet they more or less admit that might not work.
    www.powerinflux.com

3. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just hit the mother lode: https://advancedextrication.com/2014...y-disconnects/

Lists the Service and Emergency disconnects for several cars.
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 4 Weeks Ago at 0930.
    www.powerinflux.com

5. Likes Stevo, Functional Artist liked this post
    Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    That was a good find Sherlock.... I didn't get that far on my google search.
    Ya... I have to agree, You should never assume that power is off just because a switch is flipped. Any number of things can happen to that switch!

I've been reading through these posts to double check everyone's suggestions and I respect Travis's opinion... I will be relocating my main fuse to a safer location, but also to a location that has easier access than where it's located now, which is on the Sevcon controller itself. If that fuse blows, It's near impossible to get to in order to change it. If you read Travis's opinion, for this system, a full current flowing switch is not necessary. And Jackson type plugs is a mere convenience. My battbox is such a pain in the ass to remove, a quick disconnect plug isn't going to help save much time in that procedure.

The main thing I hate about those Jackson plugs, is that they are not the least bit water proof. I usually squeeze a shit ton of silicone grease into the connections before I snap them together. The grease also helps pulling them apart, which sometimes can be a pita.
    Last edited by Stevo; 4 Weeks Ago at 0944.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    "Any number of things can happen to that switch!"?

ANY NUMBER OF THINGS? LIKE WHAT THINGS???

lol you should know better than to give me a shot like that.

Also, check out the post above. I found the mother lode of emergency disconnect switches.
    Last edited by Ted Dillard; 4 Weeks Ago at 0938.
    www.powerinflux.com

8. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    You gotta love the simplicity and elegance of the BMW's solution, IMO. By far the best design.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12