Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  1

Thread: 1994 Suzuki RF600 Senior Design project Leaf conversion

Post Thanks / Like

1994 Suzuki RF600 Senior Design project Leaf conversion

Hello all,

I've been trying (and failing) for a few months to sign up for Elmoto. I guess I kept missing either the registration email link or the need to post within a week, but whatever it was now I'm here.

I'm a senior in undergraduate mechanical engineering at a state school in New York, and have been interested in EV's and particularly electric motorcycles since I started riding 5 years ago. I've done plenty of work on my current rides: a suzuki DR650 with scads of fun modifications, and a '94 klx250 that I converted to a dualsport through the vermont titling loophole. I'm now working on converting a 1994 RF600 as a senior design project for school.

Two friends in electrical engineering are working on the display, motor controller and BMS design and my focus is on the battery packaging and layout of the components as well as sizing the motor. I'm a bit wary of a homebuilt controller, but have confidence in my teammates abilities and have a backup plan of finding a used alltrax controller if all doesn't go well. The criteria for the project is a range of about 50 miles with a top speed capable of 65mph and decent acceleration. We've decided to go with a brushed DC motor for a simpler motor controller build and a pack size of 12-14 Nissan leaf modules to hopefully get the range we're looking for. I'm not entirely fluent in the battery management system my teammate has come up with, but from what I understand it's a master-slave arrangement with the slave board capable of handling 12 cells each with top balancing (not modules, he'll have to use the sense terminals of the leaf batteries because the boards are limited to 5V inputs). He's basing his motor controller design off of Electric Motovlog's build on youtube and I'm hoping it works out.

We got our bike for a good price from an inmate on the Advrider forums who happened to be from my hometown, and assuming our BMS and motorcontroller end up working most of our out of pocket budget will be going to batteries, a motor and charging equipment. This whole ordeal is fairly daunting as a first time experience as many others have said, but I hope that we are able to have a running bike in the end.

2. Likes Ted Dillard liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hi
    welcome and good luck with your project.
    flo

Post Thanks / Like
    For the battery packaging I am considering whether the mounting frames also have to replace the engine as a tension member seeing as the boxed steel frame of the RF600 is fairly bulky. I know on ninja 250 builds this has been an issue, where the battery frames have to be strong enough to not deflect and to prevent the ninja frame from bending. I really really like the work that this guy did on his ninja, and the overall packaging of the bike was beautiful http://elmoto.net/showthread.php?t=3915&page=12 .
    The on paper idea I like most so far is this:

but have also been considering the idea of two larger bent pieces of aluminum plate on either side of the battery pack that also function as the motor mounting plate, loosely based off of this guy: https://rgelectric.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    NICE! Welcome!
    Power in Flux: The History of Electric Motorcycles
    www.powerinflux.com

Post Thanks / Like
    This is the preliminary design for the battery frames: