Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1994 Suzuki RF600 Senior Design project Leaf conversion

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    Congrats on getting it on the road! Glad to see your success. I haven't been good at getting the paper results into real world results either, but its still an impressive accomplishment none the less. Playing with different drive gear ratios is a pita and can be expensive, with chain length changes as well as expensive sprockets. I used a cheap chain originally with 2 easily removable master links (which you aren't supposed to reuse!) and it did snap on one test. It could have caused some damage so I was lucky, I don't recommend it!! But it did help to dial in the ratio a little bit better, and help with learning how the bike accelerates with different ratios. I didnt notice a heck of a difference in range however.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: eVOR.v3.3
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevo View Post
    Congrats on getting it on the road! Glad to see your success. I haven't been good at getting the paper results into real world results either, but its still an impressive accomplishment none the less. Playing with different drive gear ratios is a pita and can be expensive, with chain length changes as well as expensive sprockets. I used a cheap chain originally with 2 easily removable master links (which you aren't supposed to reuse!) and it did snap on one test. It could have caused some damage so I was lucky, I don't recommend it!! But it did help to dial in the ratio a little bit better, and help with learning how the bike accelerates with different ratios. I didnt notice a heck of a difference in range however.
    Thanks Steve! I’m considering using an ANSI #50 roller chain for gearing checking purposes. Right now the front sprocket is for #40 anyway and I can get a steel 60 tooth sprocket and mill out the hub and drill mounting holes for way less than buying a custom rear sprocket. Then, once the length is all set with the $15 ANSI chain I can swap back to a 530 motorcycle chain and eventually spring for true 520 front and rear sprockets/chain.
    Last edited by jhaggerty; 17 September 2019 at 0611.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ended up ordering a custom 420 sprocket from PBI sprockets based on a JTR829 based on input from EV Ed. It wasn't too expensive, and they emailed me shipment notice only about 2 hours after I put in the order. I'm going to bump the gear ratio up to about 5.4:1 and see how it affects efficiency.

The gearing didn't have a huge effect on efficiency, but it does seem to be slightly better. Additionally, the smaller chain means there's less rotating weight and I can pick up a new one at Tractor Supply if needed for about 20 bucks. Even with an additional 17 teeth on the rear the rear sprocket is almost the same size.
    Last edited by jhaggerty; 01 October 2019 at 0720.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've spent the past few days reconfiguring the battery mounting orientation. The orientation shown in the pictures before gave about 7 inches of ground clearance and a width of 7 inches from the centerline of the bike-- so about 45 degrees of lean in ideal conditions (no suspension compression, even road etc.) I probably wouldn't reach this number anyway, but since it's a sportbike with limited range the most fun part of riding it should come from being able to thrash through the turns.

By turning the battery 90 degrees and inserting it between the frame rails and re-routing all cabling and motor controller wiring I was able to get another 1.5-2 inches of clearance and reduce the width of the battery profile to about 7 inches. This gives a theoretical max lean of more like 60 degrees, and when I did a test lean of the bike the pegs touched at about the same time as the battery box, both at an insane angle I'll never intentionally achieve.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Vj...x4Zd3enw=w2400
    Last edited by jhaggerty; 01 October 2019 at 0623.

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    Cool. I cant wait for Elon's "million mile" batteries!!!
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    So I hit a deer yesterday. That sucked. Luckily the bike was mostly okay, just a broken right peg bracket, bent handlebar and some scraping. After that incident I went ahead and ordered an inertia switch to wire in series with my contactor coil. They're fairly cheap insurance. Next will be some high voltage stickers.

The pack is rotated and bolts in nicely now. I'm 5/6 of the way done with weather proofing it with acrylic and aluminum panels and recently installed my chinese BMS.

The BMS works very well. It's an ANT_BMS from ICGOGOGO on Aliexpress and was about $120 and 1 month for delivery. The VBMS app on android interfaces with it and shows all types of information including temperature, amperage, and cell voltages. It had my pack balanced to within 2mV overnight and the charger cutoff function works perfectly. No more worrying when bulk charging.

I used some cheap amazon cable glands for the pack power plug and hard installed a fuse inside the pack. Right now it's relatively unprotected and with a big enough crash could potentially short to the frame so I'm planning to make a small acrylic cover for the fuse to prevent that.

The deer incident sucked, but like I said the main damage was cosmetic, like the bottom corner of the battery case cover here:

I couldn't find a foot rest bracket and my limbs weren't feeling too terrible for having slid 10 feet on pavement last night so I decided to just make one so I could ride today:

I'm still only getting 36Ah out of these batteries and with my average efficiency very close to 140 wh/mile that's only 25 miles per charge. I'm seriously considering investing in some Gen 4 leaf batteries and trying to sell these old ones for whatever I can get. That should increase my range by at least 2x if not slightly more.
    Last edited by jhaggerty; 4 Weeks Ago at 1753.

Post Thanks / Like
    I will mail you some stickers. I have several ( they made me buy 50) from the drag bike build.

Ed
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630

8. Likes Stevo liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    I vote for strategically placed stickers as well! LOL
    It sucks... I rode up on a big boy one night after work and he didn't even want to move off the road. I know he saw my lights but the bike didn't spook him at all.
    Maybe a government mandated sound maker isn't a bad idea after all??
    Last edited by Stevo; 4 Weeks Ago at 1037.
    WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    Nooooooooooooooo, Not a Harley speaker????

EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630

Post Thanks / Like
    Some updates:

The bike now has over 500 miles on it with an average wh/mile of around 130. Only minor issues so far (crossing my fingers it stays this way) like the chain falling off from being too tight and popping the master.

Since I'm only getting 25 miles per charge and about half the nominal capacity of my pack and I plan to commute to my new job at Chargepoint in San Francisco on this I decided to spring for the new 2018 leaf modules. They are about a 60% increase in volumetric energy density and will put the nominal pack size at just over 11kwh.

I'm having a mystery noise show up every once in a while from a stop to low speed that sounds like something grinding. Hoping it is rear wheel bearings and not something mysterious in the motor, though after a chat with Ed it sounds like these motors are pretty bulletproof (as long as you don't go drag racing pushing 800A through them....)

I've cobbled on a 2004 CBR600RR tail fairing with some slicing and dicing and am planning to add in my J1772 inlet, charger controller and 3.6kw homebuilt onboard charger before moving to San Francisco. The charger is working out quite nicely so far and I have been regularly charging at 30 amps. This probably isn't great for the batteries since it is close to 1C at their real world usable capacity, but I don't plan to have them for much longer and it will be closer to 1/4C of the Gen4 leaf modules.

On a side note I have 10 Gen 4 leaf modules that I would like to sell. They seem to be pretty rare and usually sell at a premium. I don't want to offend anyone with a ridiculous price, but I also need to recoup some $$ before the big move, and the process of buying, shipping, moving, and opening a full leaf pack without a proper shop ain't gonna be easy. Feel free to make an offer if interested.
    Last edited by jhaggerty; 3 Days Ago at 0930.

12. Likes Stevo liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12