Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Anybody having service issue with a Zero Motorcycle ?

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody having service issue with a Zero Motorcycle ?

Hi everyone !

I encoutered several issues with Zero Motorcycles, which have been very badly handled by the company in most of the cases.

I finally understood that, at least in Europe, Zero pressure their dealers so that they not to handle quality related issues, especially when bikes' commercial warranty is over (ie more than 3 years) - expecting customers to just leave it there. I met several customers having the same issue (ranging from a bike's wheel suddenly blocked when cruising in the highway, to repeated and long visits to the shop to fix multiple issues).

Of course this totally unacceptable, and goes against the most basic consumer rights (whatever the commercial warranty is, you reasonably dont expect a 15.000$ motorbike to die after 20.000 kilometers, especially when it is sold as a premium and long life productt).

Did any of you experience the same issue, or know anybody who had the same issue ?
    1 -If so how did you solve it ?
    2 -If you did not solve it you can contact me jeanvalj5@gmail.com

The idea is to support our dealers by going directly to Zero and ensuring things that should be solved quickly are really solved, so that we can keep a good experience (and also havea real second hand market, which will never materialize if customers are simply left with their issues).

Feel free to share this message !

Post Thanks / Like
    I have owned three Zero S models since buying my first 2012 in January of that year. I have never had a problem with any of my Zeros that wasn't repaired at either the Zero factory or my retail dealer within a day and all of those issues were with my 2012 model. I ordered my 2014 S with a Power Tank that at the time had to be installed by the retail dealer at the time of initial sale. When they were unable to get it to work properly, a factory technician visited the shop, replaced the defective Power Tank then found a mashed connector that had some bent pins. After straightening the pins of the connector everything worked as advertised. That work took 3 hours while I waited.

Since then the 2014 S has never needed to be returned to a dealer for service or repair. My daughter is still riding that bike and loving it. I am now riding a 2018 S, which has only seen the shop once for its 600-mile initial service, which included the motor "commissioning" . So all of my 7 years of Zero experience has been nothing but positive, which is a step up from 34 years of buying BMW motorcycles.

I wish I could have said the same thing about my first electric motorcycle purchases, a 2009 and 2010 Electric Motorsport GPR-S. Those were a real disaster.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    you're lucky !!!

Seems that service in the US is better than in Europe - even for minor issues i had to wait weeks. And for the biggest one answer seems to be "it is customer's problem, not ours"...
    What is the motor commissioning ? They did change it or modify it ?

Post Thanks / Like
    "Motor commissioning" seems to be a way to get Zero's customers back into the shop after purchase. When Zero switched to an IPM-design motor a few years ago, suddenly the motor needed to be "commissioned" every 8K miles. I get the impression that "commissioning" is another name for synchronizing the controller with the motor's position sensors. Whether or not that really needs to be done is a mystery to me, but I assume that if it wasn't accomplished at a franchised dealer per their servicing schedule, Zero might try to weasel out of their warranty if the motor developed a problem.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks !

By the way it has been one month, and I am still stuck with the broken engine. Zero answer from Zero except the same "after commercial warranty, if the bike breaks it is your problem".
    I talked to my insurance who told me that, by far, Zero was the worst maker (their legal department have half a dozen of pending case). I am really unhappy, and I really need a bike an a day to day basis.

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, here in USA, when the vehicle is out of warranty period, whoever owns the hot potata is $hit outta luck.
    Maybe the cheapest option for you is to replace the motor yourself just so you can get your bike operational again?
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    In Europe if there is a hidden defect - a part lasting much less than you can reasonably expect - then you can make the dealer pay for it, and the dealer then turns against the maker. I'm sure that there must be something similar in the US - a company can't advertise for a premium, 500.000 miles vehicle if it has such a short lifetime.

I can't replace it myself (the part is quite expensive), so i'm counting on Zero (i can't imagine they validate that they are making 12.000 miles bikes. If it is the case, they'll die very soon) and on my insurance (they will do the legal process, and they already discourage from buying Zero). In the meantime i'll have to buy another bike.

Post Thanks / Like
    Zero were at Motorcycle live in Birmingham a few weeks back.
    Dale Robinson is the UK Country manager and could be worth dropping a line with your troubles if you haven't been talking to him already.
    dale.robinson@zeromotorcycles.com