Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Disastrous fire consumes all electric motorcycles in MotoE, race’s future uncertain

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow ElMotoMike On Twitter Add ElMotoMike on Facebook Add ElMotoMike on MySpace
    Add ElMotoMike on Linkedin Visit ElMotoMike's Youtube Channel

Disastrous fire consumes all electric motorcycles in MotoE, race’s future uncertain

- Mike

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    yeah, this is serious. Hope they can recover some of it.
    Travis

Behind the Redwood Curtain- REDWOOD ORIGINAL!!
    Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Add Stevo on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by frodus View Post
    yeah, this is serious. Hope they can recover some of it.
    My money is on those #$@%&# batteries, or a new conspiracy theory.
    I think it kinda dumb to keep everything secured in one spot together instead of each team securing their own stuff... But maybe the teams didn't actually own their bikes and Energica wanted to keep everything secured together ...the article didn't explain if that was an FIM requirement. Hopefully there is an insurance policy in force
    Last edited by Stevo; 14 March 2019 at 1157.
    Current rides: '96 Honda Ohlins VFR, '03 Cannondale C440R, '03 Cannondale Cannibal, '06 Yamaha 450 Wolverine 4x4
    Current builds: WORX.VOR.v3.2

Post Thanks / Like
    The latest news is that the bikes were not being charged at the time, so at least there is that. Also, the e-motorcycle racing program will continue this year. Hopefully Energica will be able to enter the races with new motorcycles.
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Richard - Current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2016 BMW R1200RS, 2011 Royal Enfield 500, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 (FZS1000N) and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Post Thanks / Like
    Welllllll............ Crap......

Good for advertising as I had not heard of this series, bad for the racers and crews.
    EV Ed
    Never let being a responsible adult get in the way of passion and curiosity.
    Motenergy.com
    Ev album 2456, 2458, 2457, 2681, 3456, 3630

Post Thanks / Like

My Social Networking

Follow frodus On Twitter
    It's a bit confusing. Were they charging or finished charging?

They say this:
    Just at the end of the charging process, they noticed that fumes were coming out of one of the boxes and when they went there, a prototype charging station was catching fire so they tried to extinguish that. Unfortunately they couldn’t and the fire spread very rapidly to the entire tent, in which we had all the bikes and all the equipment for this year."

Then this:
    "While the investigation to determine the exact cause of the fire continues, Dorna has confirmed that no motorcycles were charging at the time of the incident in the box in which the fire started."
    Travis