Power in Flux
Likes Likes:  8
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soyachips’ Electric FZR250

Post Thanks / Like
    I ran some numbers for different battery options and based range on 60Wh/km. Let me know if anything looks horribly wrong. The cost I’ve used for the Leaf batteries is probably way too low as I can’t even find any in Australia! NOTE the costs are all in AUD

Last edited by soyachips; 25 April 2019 at 0356.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also the motor arrived today and nervously checked to make sure the custom axle fits into the swingarm and thankfully it does!

Next steps are to install the brake and work out an adapter plate to attach the bike’s original brake rotor to the motor. Also need to make up some blocks to hold the axle in the swingarm and some kind of bracket to hold all of this so I can do some bench testing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Received the bike last week and started removing the ICE related bits that I won't be needing. One thing that I didn't expect to find was the coolant runs through the frame of the bike. There's a bolt on the lowest part of the frame used to drain the coolant out which I've done but now I'm wondering if the inside of the frame might start rusting without the coolant to protect it. Does anyone have any experience with this or thoughts on whether or not it could be an issue?

Post Thanks / Like
    In my excitement to get started, I forgot to weigh the front and back to get the weight distribution of the original bike before taking it apart

So after putting everything except the seat and fairings back on and picking up a couple of bathroom scales from Bunnings, I now have the numbers

Front: 69.0 kg
    Rear: 71.4 kg

5. Likes Stevo, Richard230, Spoonman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Made some more progress removing the engine from the frame. The engine weighs 40kg.

Post Thanks / Like
    Also put together a test battery pack using 24 x 15ah Headway cells to do some bench testing.

8. Likes Spoonman liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    I struggled trying to get the controller to do the angle identification setup and control the motor but got there in the end. I did swap the positions of the hall sensor A and C wires in the connector so they matched the controller connector side. That didn't seem to fix it straight away but after running the setup step and few more times it eventually worked. Whenever the angle identification setup finishes it puts out a buzzer alarm code 3,2 which is for internal reset which isn't very intuitive. It might have been working a bit earlier as I didn't test the throttle every time it finished, thinking it hadn't worked because of the alarm!

Post Thanks / Like
    One problem I've run into is the gap between the brake rotor and the motor is pretty small so the original brake caliper doesn't fit!

I contacted QS Motor and they recommended a few from their catalog that would work. Ended up getting this one in grey. I'll need to get a new mounting bracket made based on the original design and this new caliper.

11. Likes frodus liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Had some awesome help from Danny Ripperton (AEVA member) machining the swingarm blocks that hold the hub motor axle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Put the new blocks into the existing swingarm, swapped the tyre over and got it all into the bike. Next step is to work out how to mount the batteries and controller inside the frame. Decided to push the bike home from the workshop and got some interesting shots on the way

14. Likes Richard230, Spoonman liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12